Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Capitalising on World Cup fever for poverty    

Capitalising on World Cup fever for poverty

Jayho
Australia

Capitalising on World Cup fever for poverty

Hi everyone

The World Cup unites the world in way like no other.  This wonderful medium is being used to help kick out poverty - check it out ... and perhaps think about how you can incorporate this into your classroom.

World Cup TV spot calls for kicking out poverty
To kick off the 2010 FIFA World Cup, Didier Drogba and Zinedine Zidane, Goodwill Ambassadors for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), make an urgent appeal against poverty in a TV spot produced by UNDP. �The World Cup brings people around the globe together to support their national teams; we need the same kind of passion to end poverty and hunger,� says Zidane, former French national team captain. �There can be no spectators in the fight against poverty. We all need to be on the pitch to improve the lives of millions of poor people in this world,� Chelsea striker and Cote d�Ivoire national team captain Drogba ads. Watch the spot!

Watch the video (with the football celebrities) here: http://un.org//millenniumgoals/video_worldcup.shtml

You�ll also find free posters and links to Facebook and Twitter on the Home Page.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Jul 2010      

lovemykids
Uruguay

Thanks for sharing the video. It �s so true... If we are willing to be united as brothers and sisters during the world cup, it can�t be so difficult to cooperate with such an important issue. Let �s start by watching the video and helping to raise awareness as you are doing Jayho!

All the best,

Andrea 

3 Jul 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

This is awesome Jayho, thanks for sharing

3 Jul 2010     

stexstme
France

Hmmm ... We, the people, (from an Irish song...Wink) are aware , aren �t we ??? Another spot, just like many others : � Let �s fight racism! �, Let �s help children! Let �s put an end to poverty!; Let �s let �s let �s...  What is actually being done ?? I �m fed up to the teeth with "good feelings".And with the model we give to our children : Easy money. Loads of money - as far as football is concerned!!  Hey, Jayho, you know me, don �t you ??LOL I have nothing against this Football competition - in fact, I �m a .. �soft � (?) fan!!LOL Just let�s enjoy the game, & joy, & friendship here. I don�t need the competition to be useful.Approve But I�m glad to get pms from colleagues here, just because someone wanted to share his/her happiness. ( referring to a previous post.)Wink I don�t like Famous footballers ( ie millionaires) in these spots, when they cannot behave on a field...:o(

... I �m AWARE - just like Jean-Claude VanDame!!!LOLLOL
Grumpy-Sylv �

3 Jul 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Sylvie, grumpy as you may be, you �re right ! But thank you Jay, anyway, it would be really something useful as a result from a world cup, if the campaign helped someone ...

3 Jul 2010     

stexstme
France

Wonderful to still believe in these spots, Alicia!! ... You seem to be much younger than I am - sigh - or : Less tired! - sigh again!LOL
As far as I am concerned - I just love the games - & never use football in my classes.Evil Smile
If these endless spots had been useful - we , for sure!! - would know... At least, they �re giving us joy. Not that bad, after all.
If Zidane & alike had behaved, maybe I would not have such a speech ... But they don �t behave, Sunshine,  they just don �t!
If the campaign helped someone ... Alicia ..Would it??? It sure will help those so-called celebrities & agents...to make more money out of it.
Pessimistic?Sylv � !            Sending you lots of hugs from burning France!!

3 Jul 2010