Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you say in English the expression "ponerse las pilas" and "estar de examenes"?    

How do you say in English the expression "ponerse las pilas" and "estar de examenes"?

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

How do you say in English the expression "ponerse las pilas" and "estar de examenes"?

Hello evrybody,

When correcting a composition I found the Spanish expression "ponerse las pilas" used by a student. Of course he just translated it "put on your batteries". When I read it I just started laughing because I imagined how an English native speaker could react after hearing this literal translation. lol. For those who don �t speak Spanish, this Spanish expression is used when for instance you haven �t worked hard throughout the course and in the last term your teacher tells you that if you want to pass the course you will have to work really hard to be able to catch up with the work. Can you help me to find the expression an English native speaker would use in that situation? I have tried to look it up in the oxford dictionary without any success.

The second expression I need help with is "estar de examenes". This expression is used when someone is taking / sitting / doing exams. Is there any phrasal verb or colloquial expression with this meaning? "What have you been up to? I �ve been really busy, I �ve been ........"

Thanks in advance.

4 Jul 2010      

joy2bill
Australia

The first expression that comes to mind is "pull your socks up"
Then there is �straighten yourself out"
"You have to get with the programme"
A less polite (but very common) one is "to put you A into G" which stands for put your arse into gear as in the way you start a car by putting the gearstick into first gear.
Another impolite slang expression is "to pull your finger out".

Hope this helps.
Cheers Joy

4 Jul 2010     

brookee
United States

#1  What comes to my mind are the expressions buckle down and put one �s nose to the grindstone.

#2  "What have you been up to? I �ve been really busy...
...I have finals."
...I �m in finals.
...It �s exam week."

4 Jul 2010