Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Scanning from books    

Scanning from books

theoyster
Argentina

Scanning from books

HI everyone !

It � s the first  time I use the  messages here. I�d like  you to help me with a doubt.  Is it illegal to  take a picture from a book, magazine, etc, to  cut, paste and use it to  make an activity of your own? Is this supposed  to  be book scanning? My last contributions have been removed for this reason. What do you do  to  get  a picture to  adapt to  your activity?
thanks a lot for your help. Im feeling so  disappointed

4 Jul 2010      

juliag
Japan

Hi theoyster,

Don �t be disappointed. We all made mistakes at first. And your pro-active attitude - asking what is and isn �t okay - is greatThumbs Up.

I think, though someone else please correct me if I �m wrong, that we can use scanned pictures as long as
1) they are not from other esl resources
2) we add our own activities

Did your worksheets that were reported fulfill these criteria?
If not, just update them and then reupload them.

Hope this helps.
Have a nice dayHug
julia

4 Jul 2010     

theoyster
Argentina

Hi Julia! 
Thanks for your answer! As I don�t know how to  use  some  pc functions yet, I did a lot of paper work, photocopying the pictures I like, cutting with scissors, pasting with glue, scanning my paper  sheet  to  have it in the pc, and then typing the sentences I needed for my students to  use. Then i can�t see why they  say its book scanning. I told all this to  the moderators, I do hope they  clarify!
take care
Sandra

4 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I tend to agree with Julia: we are not allowed to scan pictures or tasks from ESL books, but we can scan an image from other kinds of books even though this is not a really good thing to do, either... And - OF COURSE - we always have to add our own exercises and/or questions!!

BTW and because I wasn �t online when you were celebrating Germany �s most recent victory last night:

GOOOOOOOOOO,  GERMANY,

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

4 Jul 2010     

theoyster
Argentina

ty topolina!! I wish WE ARGENTINIANS had won, but it�s as it is. gook luck, bad luck, better play, worse play. We all get passionate and I like that

4 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, Sandra! :))

I must admit that I feel really sorry for the Argentinian team...
To be beaten like this is not a very nice experience. Ouch

BUT... LIFE GOES ON, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...

Big hugs and lots of love - Silke

4 Jul 2010     

Yams
Argentina

well done Germany! you played a great game!!!
but as you said it �s not nice to see your team be beaten in that way after playing so amanzingly!!! but this is a game, one team loses the other one wins....
buuuutttt be prepared  for brazil 2014 because WE ARE WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (we �re gonna kick your ass!!!) hehehe
Hug
love and peace for all of you!!!!!!!!

4 Jul 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

when scanning a picture from a book you of course do need to be careful with copyrights...
even if it is not an esl book ...

4 Jul 2010     

theoyster
Argentina

Hi Marion

I know, but the pictures i included in the worksheets are pieces of furniture, black and white. a bed, a chair, a couple of sofas.... stuff like this. In one of them I even traced the pictures from a book myself, so  this is why Im at a loss with the removal

4 Jul 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Hi Sandra! Please don �t feel disappointed. The problem with your worksheets is that the whole page was scanned - the borders could be seen and the page was not centred. I can see that you had a lot of trouble doing a job that can easily be done in your PC with much better results. Would you like to give it a try?  Here are some free tutorials that will help you, step by step, to  create a worksheet with your PC:

You can find more in the tutorial section. Once again, no points are needed to download them.

Have a nice day,
mena

4 Jul 2010     

viccxx
Greece

Would you like me to send you cliparts of furniture? I �m having problems with my PC lately and my email isnt functioning properly but I have heaps of them and I �d like to help...

4 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >