Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Hermetic    

Hermetic

colibrita
United Kingdom

Hermetic

Hi everyone

Can anyone explain to me the meaning of "hermetic" when it refers to how a team plays football? Thanks

13 Jul 2010      

serene
Greece

Since hermetic means completely sealed, I can only guess it refers to one team �s players gathering in front of their team �s goal line so that no player of the opposite team can get through and score a goal. But that �s just my guess.

13 Jul 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

I totally agree with Serene �s explanation.
You can have a look at this definition which has the same meaming as hermetic ( refering to football), it may help you.
Catenaccio (Italian pronunciation: [kateˈnattʃo]) is a tactical system in football with an emphasis on defence. In Italian, catenaccio means "door-bolt", implying a highly organized and effective backline defense which is intended to prevent goals.

13 Jul 2010     

alien boy
Japan

A lot can depend on the context that �hermetic� is used in. It can also mean the tactics are obscure/beyond comprehension or that the coach ignores all external influence/advice. In these contexts it could be used to describe several coaches, teams & tactics employed at the World Cup.

From Merriam-Webster Online:

hermetic:

b : relating to or characterized by occultism or abstruseness : recondite
2 [from the belief that Hermes Trismegistus invented a magic seal to keep vessels airtight] a : airtight b : impervious to external influence

Cheers
AB

14 Jul 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

Very nice explanation, AB...

Mar

14 Jul 2010     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your help. Alien Boy, so that �s the origin of the word - I like it!

14 Jul 2010