Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > fast finishers    

fast finishers

little_princess
Argentina

fast finishers

Any ideas and activities for fast finishers???? 

14 Jul 2010      

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Little Princes... you need to plan ahead, and have some extra materials ready for these cases, for example you can have some wordsearches or cross word puzzles, coloring pages, etc. related to the topics you will be working with. You �ll find excellente worksheets here that can be useful for these cases!

Mar

14 Jul 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

With all the printables I was able to download from this site, I was able to make a binder of extra work for my students. When  a student is finished his/her work, I ask that student to go in the red binder (that �s where I �ve put the extra activities) and pick a printable of their choice. My only rule is that I should not have to explain the whole thing. I can clarify something but not explain everything. This gives me an opportunity to spend more time with my weaker students who are having difficulties with the regular class work.

14 Jul 2010     

Errie
Japan

Hi there,

I always let them spell some words. LOOK/COVER/WRITE
This is how it goes:
They look at the word, cover it and write it down. They have to check it and if the word is spelled wrong they look and write again etc.
This activity will improve their writing skills for sure.

Hope this is useful

14 Jul 2010     

natifonzo
Argentina

Clapuauu manonski that �s a wonderful idea. I �m going to try it!! thanks for your tip!

14 Jul 2010     

Damielle
Argentina

I think that you are talking about coolers. Do you have to prepare a class plan?

14 Jul 2010     

blizzard1
Denmark

At the beginning of the school year I give each ss a set of copies in a blue folder. The folder contains many different grammar and reading exercises. They all  know that if they finish their work before others do they just take their blue folder out. 

14 Jul 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I like your idea, manonski!
I do something similar. I keep in stock different crossword puzzles which I have prepared myself beforehand. When the fastest students start to look bored, I give them a puzzle. Usually they like it.

14 Jul 2010     

ezeca
Argentina

Hi, from Argentina. They way I handle fast finishers is giving them FAST FINISHERS CARDS!  They get the card ( usually related to the topic we �re working)  and solve it in their notebooks. The only rule is NOT TO WRITE ON THE CARD! 
Examples of cards: which word is missing, spot the mistake, what is the wrong word in the sentence, etc. It really works.
Besides, the WHAT �S UP?  series by Pearson Longman, comes with a separate book. The book is fantastic, because, on one side, it contains EXTRA PRACTICE, for students who need more practice. On the other side, it has exercises for FAST FINISHERS. If you know the series, try it. If not, e-mail me by PM and I �ll send any of you some pages scanned.

14 Jul 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

Hello friends:

Most of my students don �t have personal libraries at home (especially English language-based), so I keep a box or movable cart full of high-interest readers at various grade levels in the corner of my classroom.  I �ve purchased them myself online, at discount stores, or at yard sales.  When students finish their assignments or tests quickly, they take a book and read until the others catch up.  If they want extra credit, they can fill out a simple book report form that may include simple questions or harder summarizing activities, depending on their level.

Hope this helps!

P.S.  I really like the others� recommendations, too!!!!  Thanks, all!

14 Jul 2010     

little_princess
Argentina

Hey!! thanks a lot!!! I got many interesting ideas!!!! you �re so kind!!
ezeca. What about that book? sounds good but my students are seven years old... do you think I can use it anyway? is the book graded? Thanks!!!

15 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >