Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Do you know a fun way to practice reflexive pronouns?    

Do you know a fun way to practice reflexive pronouns?

blunderbuster
Germany

Do you know a fun way to practice reflexive pronouns?

Hi,

I am looking for a fun way to practice the grammar with young teenagers.

Regards

14 Jul 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Young teenagers themselves have a way of turning things into funny things, as long as we provide the vocabulary. It �s great if you can link reflexives to a vocabulary topic - e. g. food, to completely divert their attention from the reflexives (then it sneaks into their subconscious and they remember it forever). Perhaps you could do some brainstorming: 1. let them make funny food combinations and write those words on the board in one colour or in a right column, 2. have them tell you the names of some of their favourite fictional characters or famous people and write them down in a left column, 3. you provide a list of verbs with reflexives in the middle(http://firstvirtual.wordpress.com/2009/01/06/reflexive-verbs-in-english/)... Then have them make silly sentences. You can get examples such as these: Spongebob is making himself a purple paper sandwich. David Beckham is looking at himself in the mirror with a black potato on his head. Or you can skip the food part (it is silly but useful) and use unusual places (grandma �s bedroom, the moon surface, NASA lab...) and then make combinations. They also love pairing up impossible couples, e. g. Bono Vox enjoyed himself a lot at the fun park with Shrek. As long as you use humour to divert attention from grammar, I find that teenagers learn grammar fast...

14 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I usually divide my ss into groups of 4 and give each group a mirror. Then I show them how it works by looking at myself in the mirror and saying: "See? I �m looking at myself (in the mirror)." After that I ask one of the ss to look in the mirror and say to him or her: "See? You are looking at yourself in the mirror." This goes on till I have mentioned all the reflexive pronouns. (See? She is looking at herself, he is looking at himself, we are looking at ourselves, you are looking at yourselves and they are looking at themselves in the mirror.)

For "itself" I use a rubber, draw a face on it, place it in front of the mirror and say: "See? The rubber is looking at itself in the mirror." That usually makes my students laugh. ;)) Then I let all groups use their mirror to repeat what I showed them in order to reinforce what I have just taught them.

I have also found this website with a few games which might be of use to you:

http://www.liis.lv/eng_learn/Houses/speak_houses.htm (click on "Reflexive Pronouns" at the top left of the page)

14 Jul 2010     

dturner
Canada

Do you mean an eraser or a condom.  In North America, we can call a condom, a rubber.

15 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you ladies!

15 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, dturner!

I really hope that you �re only kidding... Of course, I mean the classroom object. Would you show your teenage ss a condom with a face on it? Thumbs Down I wouldn �t!!!!

Not everyone lives in Canada (North America) and since Germany is a lot nearer to Britain than to America, I prefer teaching British English, and the BE word for your American expression "eraser" is "rubber". Can �t help it...

Regards - Silke

15 Jul 2010