Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Can you advise me? Difference in meaning between 2 sentences.    

Can you advise me? Difference in meaning between 2 sentences.

Helen McK
Ireland

Can you advise me? Difference in meaning between 2 sentences.

Hello everybody,

I�ve been asked to explain the difference in meaning between the following two sentences. 

A.      He remembered to post the letter

B.      He remembered posting the letter

To me, they mean more or less the same thing.  I�d value other opinions on it though.

Helen

15 Jul 2010      

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello Helen,

Yes, dear, there is a difference between the two.
When "remember" is followed by an infinitive " to post," it means that "he remembered that he needed to do sth." which is in this case "to post the letter."
When "remember" is followed by a gerund "posting," then it means that "he remembered that he has done sth."

Hope I made myself clear.
Nebal

15 Jul 2010     

blancamendez
Spain

to post the letter means that he remembered to do it, and posting means that he remembered that and he already did it
hope it helps!
xx

15 Jul 2010     

daisy.ea
Turkey

hi everybody,

maybe these examples can be helpful to understand better.

1- He remembered to visit his grandma.

2- He remembered visiting his grandma.

in the first example he hasn �t visited yet ,but he remembered to do it.  you remember to do sth before you do it.

but in the second example, he  visited her and he remembered it. you remember doing sth after you have done it.

I hope it helps.
take care of yourselves....Thumbs Up

15 Jul 2010     

Helen McK
Ireland

To everybody who replied, thanks a million :) You have helped me to see the difference more clearly.

Helen

15 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Helen,

I was too late to help but I am happy to see that people like you (native speaker whose work I really admire) have to ask questions about grammar too. Makes me feel a lot better about asking grammar questions myself.

Keep up your wonderful work.

Sending warm regards.

15 Jul 2010