Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Any ideas?    

Any ideas?

Sunnykids
Vietnam

Any ideas?

I have to teach a group of about 40 kids at kindergarten in 45 minutes. But I find it difficult to teach them effectively. I don �t know how to plan my lesson for such a large class. I �m looking forward to your help. Thanks you so much!

19 Jul 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Poor you - I sure hope you �re not alone on this!Confused

Try singing  -
Make two or three big circles and sing the Hokey pokey
(you put your right foot in , you put your right food out...)
This version below is very short.
You can start with
right hand  - left hand
right foot - left foot
head
hips
stomach
backside
whole body

See here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9vEcesi3H8

Another song:
Here we go round the mulberry bush

good luck

19 Jul 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi
Check your pm
linda

19 Jul 2010     

asmajabbar
Pakistan

Hi!
Do not worry. Its easy.
First get someone as a co teacher if u can.
Divide the lil brats into four gropus. That means 10 in one gropu.
You take care of two gropus and ask ur helper to take care of the other two gropus.
Teach according to ur lesson plan at leat for 15 min to  group 1  and then teach the same to 2nd grp. like that u can rotate all the 4 grps. It will take at leat 45 min. Divide the syllabus proplrly. Calculate ur time period properly. Estimate and divide the matter properly. I am sure it will work. I have done this several time. It works.plan  ur syllabus around week. Ask ur helper to play games sing, tell stories, she flash cards, play with dominoes ect. The main lesson plan will be in ur hand. Hope this will help u.Good luck!!!!

19 Jul 2010     

bvnreddy
China

hai
this is narasimha reddy
we want english teachers
if is any one intersted contactced me on [email protected]

19 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear me, 40 preschoolers at once?! If you �re alone, that can be quite difficult. Grouping them is definitely the way to go - having little workshops, or game centres of English - 1. one group can play the concentration game with vocabulary cards or flashcards (memory), 2. one group can play a board game with key words, 3. one group can colour the planned worksheet, and 4. one group can revise the key song/rhyme with you. This would be the plan, but it has to be flexible. If you can �t have a co-teacher, prepare for a lesson that �s more like a training camp, but if you work hard to install discipline and habits, you �ll have fun and results very soon.

lesson 45 mins
5 mins - groups song&dance (head, shoulders..., hokey-pokey..., if you �re happy...)
5 mins - preteaching key words or story/song with flashcards, movement, voice changing(role-play by teacher) to all of them at once
30 mins - workshops rotation - give each group 7-8 mins for their activity and go around checking their work (when you go around, the group revising with you gets an assistant teacher - the child who did best at first is your substitute for that minute) - then clap your hands or ring a bell to make them rotate
5 mins - the song/rhyme you taught is revised or you have a song&dance again
(This lesson plan timing will definitely not work the first time, because you have to explain it to them first, but if you explain it as a challenge for them, they do well)
Best of luck!

19 Jul 2010     

Sunnykids
Vietnam

Thanks you so much for your advice. I think of teaching ways all the time and thank to Libertybelle �s idea, I made a decision of working with songs for each lesson. And after that, I may divide the class in group as you say and teaching flashcards and games with co-teacher �s help. I �m sure it will work.
Once more, million thanks!

20 Jul 2010