Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > private tutoring    

private tutoring

wende
Spain

private tutoring

Hi! I am giving private tutorings tto a 11 yo and a 16 yo teenager who have low level of English. What would you do in the first lesson? I won �t have any textbook and I can �t figure how to fill a 60 minutes lesson (It �s not the same with a whole class than with a single pupil ^^ �).

thank you in advance

19 Jul 2010      

Babs1966
France

Hello ;)

I �m a private English teacher myself. On my first hour lesson I always do a little test to see what the students know or don �t know.
I usually work from their results.

There are many begginers tests to work from.

Let me know if you need more help.

Best thoughts to you, Babs

19 Jul 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

On the first class I always try to find out as much personal information as possible about the student - using a prompt sheet if necessary, then the student asks me questions.

I also use mini flashcards a lot - you can find a book of them and many other interesting books to download at www.englishtips.org

and on eslprintables there is endless interesting material

Try to get your student talking as much as possible using prompt cards to practice the structures or vocab you have studied.

20 Jul 2010     

viccxx
Greece

On the first day i dont like to give tests because I want it to be as pleasant as possible so thta the students will relax with me. I get them taliking about waht they like and what they dont like , i tell them a bit about myself and then we negotiate a "contract". That is to say i have a formal looking document with me that begins with "I...., your teacher, promise to ...." and he/she has to tell me what they want from me, what they look for in a teacher. Then I tell them what is required from them. There is some haggling on the volume of work, and on rewards, until we agree (of course in reality i lead them to where i want). We sign the contract in full formality! Later in the year when they  start complaining, I tell them they have a contract and must honour it...

20 Jul 2010