Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Everyday situations    

Everyday situations

blunderbuster
Germany

Everyday situations

Good morning,

This morning there was such a nice resource in today �s contributions that will be perfect for teaching everyday situations. It was speaking cards for role plays.

I would like to ask you how you handle teaching everyday situations. What interests people the most, what works best in the classroom, and what do you consider an everyday situation, what don �t you? Do you have any favorite resources among the ones we can select from here?

Regards

Big smile

20 Jul 2010      

Mariethe House
France

In France, we are supposed to teach in a task oriented and actional sequences based on grammar and vocabulary that go with the topic and including the reading speaking and listening skills!
The sequence goes; Discover Learn Practise Create
for example if youconsiderdaily routines , the children discover the topic by reading a typical day of a school boy/ girl in England .... They pick the relevant vocabulary and grammar and pracctise it in different forms ( conversation cards, grids to fill in (What time do you..?)
Then they will have to practise listening comp.. eg; an American pupil talking about his daily routine , take notes and then rephrase and reformulate what they understood.
Thn some grammar exercises maybe on the simple present or an essay to write about ther day, make a poster etc..
The final task can be to make a survey ( they devise with the teacher for example)round the class about daily activities in the class
What time do you wake up?
what time does your father leave the house in the morning?
What do you have for breakfast?
ANd to write about the results of the survey That can be turned into a classroom poster .
That �s it really! and after that you hope they can use the simple present perfectly!!Smile
I don �t know if I answered your question!
have a nice day!

20 Jul 2010     

jannabanna
France

Hi,

I uploaded a 7-page document on everyday situations that I had been using for many years with my adult classes. It can be used for one-to-one teaching or group work (the others can listen and try to understand). It�s a good way to get them talking and they don�t need any specific vocabulary. For each situation the students have two things to say. I�ve also attached some ideas of what they should say (on pages 2 & 3). You could hand out those two pages and work on the vocabulary and expressions before starting the work on the situations. Hope you find it useful too.

Here is the link to my worksheet:  http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=392030#thetop

I uploaded around the same time a document on "guided conversation" which works well too. Hope I �ve been of some help.

Janet

20 Jul 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi Regina,
I guess it all depends on the age of the target group. I think that adults would respond better if you used caricature clipart for daily routines or funny photos, while teens would love comics.
Sopia

20 Jul 2010     

brookee
United States

Regina, Could you please share the link for this contribution?  You �ve piqued my interest.
Brooke

20 Jul 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you guys.

Brooke, it was traducciones �s ;o)

20 Jul 2010     

traducciones
Argentina

Hello  blunderbuster! Thank you for your comments on my ws. I just can tell you how I work with my sts.

I think one of the most important things is to know your sts�interests, likes, dislikes, points of view etc. So , every class I devote 20 minutes to very simple speaking practice about different topics such as: their school day, family, friends, embarrassing situations, good and bad experiences, wishes, dreams etc. Then, I write down their mistakes or problems they had dealing with these situations and the following class I focus on vocabulary, grammar, structures etc. Hope my answer is useful ! 

20 Jul 2010