Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help me please!!!     

Help me please!!!

Dannyngo
United States

Help me please!!!

Hello everyone, I have a difficult point in my lesson plan...That is the question "Where is the bed?"...I am confused with the article "the" and "a" in this situation. I wanna begin my new lesson with the pattern "There �s a bed in the bedroom."...So,If I use the question "Where �s the bed? for the answer ""There �s a bed in the bedroom", is it right or wrong? I am not sure about the meaning of THE in the question "Where �s the bed" right here...So,anybody can explain for me about that more...Thank alot...

25 Jul 2010      

jujuka
Hungary

For the  question "Where �s the bed? The answer is : "IT is in the bedroom." In this case you speak about a specific bed which has been mentioned before.

In the sentence "There �s a bed in the bedroom" you state the existence of a bed.

When you know "there is a bed somewhere", you may ask the question: "Where is it/the bed?" and you answer: "It �s in the bedroom.

25 Jul 2010     

Dannyngo
United States

Thank you a lot Mrs.Jujuka. That mean I should teach my students the pattern : "Where �s the bed? _It is in the bedroom" is more exactly than "Where �s a bed?"_There is a bed in the bedroom" right? 

25 Jul 2010     

Dannyngo
United States

So,If I wanna teach my students the new structure "There �s a bed in the bedroom". What kind of questions that I can make?...I mean I wanna find a question for the pattern "There �s...in the..." ??? Give me some guide please (^~^)

25 Jul 2010     

juliag
Japan

How about: What �s in the bedroom?

25 Jul 2010     

kodora
Greece

You can also ask:What is there in the bedroom? There is a bed/a chair...
Dora

25 Jul 2010     

vfinney
Canada

When we mention an object for the first time the indefinate article �a/an �  is used.  Whenever the object is mentioned again, the definate article �the � is used.

For example:
In my bedroom there is a bed, a dresser, a mirror and a TV. The bed is made of metal. The dresser is tall. The mirror is round. The TV is on top of the dresser.

25 Jul 2010     

libertybelle
United States

The is used for a specific bed. (definite)
a bed is indeterminate bed - any bed. (indefinite)

The best answer, in my opinion is:
Where is the bed?
The bed is in the bedroom.

There �s is the spoken term for there is.
You need to make sure your students know that.
We use there is in written English and there �s in spoken English
and when quoting  what people are saying in written English.

( articles (the/a/an are the first things young people often learn in many book systems.
I would suggest you get a grammar book Practical English by Michael Swan.)

25 Jul 2010     

67Englishteacher
France

To introduce "there is" I usually project a picture and I ask the students to DESCRIBE it, to give a DESCRIPTION, making sure they know some of the required vocabulary or at least that they �re able to ask for it ("what �s the English for...?"). And when they come up with "a bed", I give them the structure "there is a bed". I also introduce "there are" because at that stage they know the difference between "is" and "are". This way they easily understand the meaning of there �s/there �re.

Later I introduce questions like "is there..." or "what is there...". Hangman is a fun and easy way to practice "is there" ;) To meke the sentences more complex I also teach place prepositions around the same period, yielding sentences such as "there are three books on the shelf", "there �s a teddy bear on the bed" etc.

Hope this is ueful!
Good luck!

25 Jul 2010     

Dannyngo
United States

Thank you a lot guys...Have a nice weekend to everybody (^_^)

25 Jul 2010