Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WEAR = HAVE ON    

WEAR = HAVE ON

ohermann
Czech Republic

WEAR = HAVE ON

Hi my dear friends,

sorry for asking maybe a stupid question Confused  but I couldn�t solve the problem by means of murphy�s grammar books: the verb wear can be used in progressive form:
e.g.
Look! Jane is wearing her new dress.

Can the verb have on be used also in progressive form (or just in simple form as the verb have meaning to posses)? 
e.g.
Look! Jane is having her new dress on.

Thanks a lot in advance for your kind help. Wink

26 Jul 2010      

jannabanna
France

Hi,

As a native speaker I can assure you that you cannot say: Jane is having her new dress on.

Have - meaning to possess - in English English (not American English) is usually used with got (in the present).  But �have � can also mean other things for example:

He �s having a good time.
She �s having a bath at the moment.
They �re having their roof repaired.

But I �m sure you know that already!

Have a nice week.
Janet

26 Jul 2010     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Thanks a lot  for your prompt and clear answer, Janet. Thumbs Up 
Oto

26 Jul 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

�Having on � is a false friend (anhaben in German). 

BTW, when �have� means to possess, it�s always used in the present simple form (e.g. I have a car, I have 3 brothers). 

26 Jul 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi Philip, just wondering, isn �t it possible to use it in past tense as well? I had a hundred euros when I left this morning, now I have only 20 left.. Or more dramatically, I had two brothers but sadly one died  and now I have only one..(or one had a sex change operation and now I have one brother and one sister...)
(my choice of examples seems to be influenced by my extended stay in Holland.. ;)

26 Jul 2010     

sulekra
Australia

You �re quite right marion:)

As for "having on", the only use I could think of is when someone is pretending/joking/deceiving.

What!? Did you really win a million dollars or are you having me on?
I believed him when he said he wanted to go out with me, but he was just having me on.

26 Jul 2010