Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What book do you recommend?    

What book do you recommend?

perma
Greece

certainly!
I read the Brothers Karamazov in highschool as a project. I remember I felt like this was something big but mostly beyond me. So I read it again when I was older Big smile

Actually I�ve read most of my favourites at least twice!!!!! Some of them three timesThumbs Up

30 Jul 2010     

imanito
Morocco

Well, my farouvite books which I adore and I �d like to recommend are :

1- The Tales of The Grotesque and The Arabesque (by Edgar Allen Poe)
2- Wuthering Heights (by Emily Bronte)

and for Bruna, since you like politics Wink, I would recommend you to read "An Outpost of Progress" by (Joseph Conrad) it �s an amazing book.

I hope you will enjoy them Smile

Imane

30 Jul 2010     

olaola
Italy

Cormac McCarthy: "No country for old men" and "The road"
Khaled Hosseini : " A thousand splendid suns", " the Kite runner"
Isabel Allende: "the Island beneath the sea", "Zorro", "Ines of my soul"
Stephen King: " The Dome"
Now I am reading  "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts

30 Jul 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Bruna,
I read "206 bones" recently and really enjoyed it although crime fiction isn �t really my thing.
Anything by Terry Pratchett/Douglas Adams and absolutely everything Oscar Wilde ever wrote.

30 Jul 2010     

yanogator
United States

Anything by John Steinbeck, but especially Of Mice and Men,
also his satire of French politics The Short Reign of Pippin IV

Bruce

30 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@misz.cz

The correct English translation for the German word "Spieltrieb" is �play instinct�.

@Bruna and everybody else

This topic was raised by our dear Lisa (libertybelle) before and a lot of users replied to her threads. For those who are interested in reading them, here you go:

Today, Anita suggested "Timeline" by Michael Crichton which I had enjoyed reading very much, too.

Generally speaking, Michael Crichton cannot (couldn�t in fact, because he died in 2008 Cry) be beaten when it comes to creating a realistic setting - no matter how unrealistic the topic may be, he always manages to make me believe that the most impossible things may happen under certain circumstances.

Phew!! What or who else can I suggest? There are sooo many wonderful books to choose from, however, it all depends on my current mood. Sometimes, I�m in the mood to read a really challenging book; on other days I�m looking for a novel that is "easy to swallow", because I�m too stressed to deal with a difficult book.

Anyways, I usually prefer more or less "bloody" books! ;)) Thrillers about mentally disturbed serial killers, for example!! Let me just give you some names of those authors whose books I like to read most since it would take me too long to mention all the titles: Stieg Larsson (unfortunately, he died very early), Tess Gerritsen, Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson, Jilliane Hoffman, Simon Beckett, Frederick Forsyth, Mo Hayder, Henning Mankell, Jefferey Deaver, Harlan Coben, Thomas Harris, John Grisham, Stuart MacBride and Ken Follett.

I especially recommend Patricia Cornwell�s "Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed" - verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting and simply unputdownable - at least for me personally!! Wink Here are 2 good articles about it: http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_reviews/non-fiction/cornwell.html and http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/dst-pamandsickert.html .

31 Jul 2010     

lisa.weix
Austria

Hi Bruna!
A book that I read some years ago and still hasn�t really left me is "What I loved" by Siri Hustvedt (Paul Auster�s partner); another one I really liked and could well be read with students is "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon (a story about - or rather told from the perspective - of an autistic boy, hence the simple language).
Presently I�m reading "Last night in Twisted River", the latest of John Irving�s books - love it :)
All the best, have a great weekend!
Elisabeth.

31 Jul 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I �m reading �Last Night in Twisted River � too! I �ve read all of John Irving �s novels, and David Lodge �s.  A short novel I really enjoyed is �Red Dog � by Louis Benieres, who wrote Capatain Corelli �s Mandolin. One critic wrote, �I let my dog sleep on the bed after reading this book �.

31 Jul 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I usually have two books on the go - one for me and one for my bookclub.

I�ve just finished The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller for my bookclub.  It was a best seller before it was made into the movie made famous by Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep.  It�s short, simple and easy to read.

I�m halfway through Ian Rankin�s Exit Music which is the 17th and last Inspector Rebus novel.  It won a special award.  I adore crime novels and thrillers and I particulary enjoy watching Inspector Rebus on TV.

I�ve just started reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac which was written in 1951 and considered a defining work of the post war beat generation. It�s also for my bookclub.

Cheers

Jayho

31 Jul 2010     

< Previous   1    2