Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Dear Victor, this can ´t go on ....     

Dear Victor, this can ´t go on ....

elderberrywine
Germany

Dear Victor, this can ´t go on ....

Dear Victor,

thousands of members of this site have expressed their admiration and gratitude for you as its founder and administrator.
Most of us can �t imagine HOW you manage to look after this site besides being a teacher, a husband and a father.

But there is one real weakness of this site. It �s all centered around you. As far as I know, you �re the only one who administrates it and you have not delegated duties or powers.

It �s too much for one person, and when you are away, we have bedlam.

ESL printables was not attainable for two days and thousands of teachers nearly killed themselves in despair ;-). You didn �t notice because you were away, and no one could do anything about it.

There have been very nasty attacks in the forum, some threads or single posts ought to have been deleted, some identities probably ought to have been cancelled, but the fights and insults went on and on because nobody had the necessary administrative rights to put an end to them.

Apart from that there have been lots of requests and protests of people whose worksheets were stolen, who were wrongly or correctly accused of copying etc - and they all had to be told to "wait until Victor returns"...

Is there anyone around you can trust with your site when you �re not there or anyone you might want to involve on a permanent basis to make things easier for you? I often think it might be a very good idea.
Other sites I know work on a team basis with shared responsibilities and work very efficiently. They can deal with disruption and breach of rules very quickly and effectively.

P.S. I learned that those troublemakers who promised again and again to delete their accounts but never actually did , still hang around and pester us,  couldn´t delete them because you were away on  holiday and because you are the only one who can delete accounts?? This is incredible!

30 Jul 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Dear Dorothea,

May I say that I totally agree with your proposal?

And may I add that this is a very delicate subject?

Believe it or not, but I �ve already had nightmares because of ESLP... What would happen if Victor died in an accident? Perish the thought, BUT the possibility remains! :((

I really hope that Victor will think this matter over.

Have a nice weekend, everyone - Silke

30 Jul 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Good evening everyone!
I agree - this is a good idea, I �m sure Victor has thought about it before. I think it should definitely be a person he personally knows very well.

Have a great weekend!

30 Jul 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Elderberry...

I agree with you and let me tell you that I have had the same thought since I joined to this site but I would like to add something else: I think the person who could be in charge of that responsibility (if Victor decided to do so) should be someone "new", I mean: none of us

I think somebody who has never been involved in fights and does not have friends here would be the best option.

30 Jul 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Let �s wait for Victor �s remark. Very interesting to hear what he thinks about it.

30 Jul 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Julieta, it could be someone who �s been here for a long time. It �s just that we don �t need to know who is doing the moderating. Victor could pick people he trusts without saying who. That way, if a moderator removes a thread or a post, they would not get picked on or accused of taking sides towards a friend.

Anyway, in the end, it �s not our decision to make. I �m not the owner of this site.

30 Jul 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

I agree that would be nice if we didn�t know who are the moderators because we could talk to each other as a member and not for a person who problably has more power than us and people can say no, but always there�s  a person who just wants to please the moderator or to fight.  I am talking about some not everybody. Wink

31 Jul 2010     

donapeter
Romania

@ Julieta: if there are rules , rules made by Victor, anyone who is able to read them , understand them and process them can be a moderator. And let �s be serious.......moderators can be kicked out too if they do not do their job properly! Is not that a forum moderator is a second God here. It would be like a job. 

31 Jul 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

@Dona: that is what I think... in case that there were moderators of the forum I would like soemone different from you or me... that is just my opinion because I am sure that there would be discussions about this "old" moderator taking sides towards a friend.

Anyway, I do like the idea of moderators of the forum

Have a nice day

31 Jul 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

This site has indeed become so big and important to many that continuity has to be assured. Just imagine if Victor one day would just retire and delete the site (which is probably his right as founder/Almighty). Many members would probably get depressed Cry, commit suicide Dead, or send a leg-breaker or even assassin after dear Victor. Ouch Let �s make sure this doesn �t happen! Tongue

31 Jul 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Here, Here,
Well said Phillip. (legbreakers sounds scarier than assassins me thinksOuch)

31 Jul 2010     

1    2    Next >