Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > character traits lesson    

character traits lesson

SaraMariam
United States

character traits lesson

Hello everybody,
I have a little problem (once again) and would like to ask for your help one more time :). I have to plan a lesson on character traits - not feelings, but personality traits such as stubborn etc (for young adults). The class is rather big and there are different levels of learners. I have no idea whatsoever how to teach this subject. How do you explain characteristics? i can �t really see myself drawing flashcards or miming it somehow. Does anyone of you have a small idea to get my creativity going? :) Thanks a lot in advance (and for all the times you have been a great help for me)

3 Aug 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hi,
How about a ppt? Do you have a smart board in your English room? How about deducing character traits from favourite book or movie characters?
Sophia

3 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

Pictures of celebrities and people from history/mythology/fairytales with significant famous traits could possibly help--the seven dwarves come to mind for example

3 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Hi Sara

I often use Zodiac signs with their characteristics. I �ve used these flashcards which you have to download from the net, sorry I could not find a good link. Just google for Zodiac signs or sth.

Here is a useful worksheet which you can print and cut, then give each students their respective card and they should tell if everything is true about them etc.
http://nuclear.ucdavis.edu/~rpicha/personal/astrology/index.html

3 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I use these two links:

They come from eslflo �s page on personality-character lesson plans here.

Maybe they are useful for you too.

Cheers

Jayho

3 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

I also proceed via zodiac signs.
We are  not supposed to promote our own worksheets, but since you are asking I �ll show you two of mine which seem to deal with what you are interested in.
I made plenty of exercises in order to make students USE the new words.
Here is what you �ll get:

You�ll find comprehensive texts and exercises for 3-4 lessons on how to characterise people. Starting off with small texts about the zodiac signs and bits of vocabulary students will practice about 50 adjectives characterising people. There are several exercises that make them use these words in context: definitions, word families, examples. There is also an exercise for "psychological" discussion that makes students use the new vocabulary. On the second ws you�ll find the keys for everything and 2 crossword puzzles that can be used for testing as well as a lesson plan that gives you ideas on how to proceed.

And here are the links:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=268993#thetop

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=269003#thetop

Good luck!

3 Aug 2010     

Hazza
Australia

You could ask each child to draw a person they know ( parent, brother or sister or a character from a book or movie) and ask them to choose character traits from a list you provide to describe their character. Then they can each show their picture and talk about the traits and explain what each trait means!

3 Aug 2010     

Hazza
Australia

You could ask each child to draw a person they know ( parent, brother or sister or a character from a book or movie) and ask them to choose character traits from a list you provide to describe their character. Then they can each show their picture and talk about the traits and explain what each trait means!

3 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

nice idea, Hazza, but maybe not for young adults? 

3 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Young adults could just bring some photos, dear Dorothea... ;))

3 Aug 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Perfect!! I knew you would have some great ideas!! Thanks so much! You made my day!!!

Hugsss
Sara

3 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >