Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Modals - prohibition    

Modals - prohibition

Chilvis
Argentina

Modals - prohibition

Hi, I have a doubt as regards modals when we are talking about prohibition or about sth that is not possible. Should we use can īt or mustn īt? How do you explain this to teenagers?
For example:
You can īt / mustn īt park here. Can īt you see the sign, Tom? Parking is forbidden.

I īd choose mustn īt but I īm not sure...Ermm

10 Aug 2010      

GIOVANNI
Canada

Both can īt and musn īt are used for prohibition.
Can㦙 tells us that something is against the rules. Mustn㦙 is usually used when the obligation comes from the person who is speaking.

10 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

In your example the correct option is can īt, as the person speaking probably isn īt responsible for the rule or putting the sign up. As Giovanni said, mustn īt would be used when the obligation comes from the person speaking.
Mustn īt would be possible if the person speaking owns the property and put up a sign as well. eg. You mustn īt park on the lawn! I even put up a sign to stop people driving over my precious prize-winning daisies! But it still sounds more like īstrong obligation � than īpermission/prohibition �.
Hope some of that helps;)

10 Aug 2010     

Chilvis
Argentina

Thank you Giovanni and sulekra, you were very helpful.

I knew about the fact that must is used for obligation coming from the speaker, as the main difference with have to, but I didn īt realise it was the same in the negative form.

Thanks!!!Big smile

10 Aug 2010     

jannabanna
France

As a native speaker I would say that you could use either can īt or mustn īt in your example:  You can īt park there = you are not allowed to or You mustn īt park there = it īs forbidden.  It boils down to the same thing doesn īt it?

In other sentences there would be more of a difference.

I can īt go out tonight = I īm not allowed to (we could NOT say - I mustn īt go out tonight unless we meant - I must stay in - I īm expecting a phone call or there īs a good programme on TV.)

Other than that I agree with the others.

Janet

10 Aug 2010     

Chilvis
Argentina

Thank you Janet!

I really appreciate native speakers � contribution

You are all very kind!

11 Aug 2010