Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Convergent pedagogy - holastic pedagogy??    

Convergent pedagogy - holastic pedagogy??

ynroko1
Slovenia

Convergent pedagogy - holastic pedagogy??

Hi everyone.

I �ve read an article and found these expressions: "convergent pedagogik" and "holastic pedagogik" regarding teaching English to young learners.

I haven �t heard about these expressions before? What do they mean? Can you help me with an expalnation?

Thank you.

Have a nice and sunny day.
Y.

10 Aug 2010      

Petpet
Czech Republic

Hi ynroko,

This is a definition I �ve found:
In 1987, a new pedagogical approach called P�dagogie convergente (or �Convergent pedagogy�) was introduced on an experimental basis.
- developed in Belgium
- describes a pedagogy that emphasizes interactive learning and links teaching methods of the first and second languages.
The child�s mother tongue is used as the language of instruction throughout primary school and the second language is taught in such a way that the learners become functionally bilingual. The goals of this model are to improve school access and learning outcomes for students, to integrate the school into the social and cultural environment of the students, and to produce functionally bilingual learners.
- used as an experiment in Mali
you can read more here:
convergent education:
Holistic pedagogy:

I would say - both are learner-centered, taking the learner �s needs and abilities into account more than other approaches, I think.

P.

10 Aug 2010