Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > HELP !! HOW TO TEACH CONDITIONALS    

HELP !! HOW TO TEACH CONDITIONALS

kali81
Peru

HELP !! HOW TO TEACH CONDITIONALS

Hello Guys!
I�d like to know if you have any fun idea to introduce the topic of Conditionals. I have to explain them to teenagers covering  present factual, prsent unreal, past unreal and mised time frames conditionals.
Please if you guys know about how  to teach them in a dynamic way...let me know....thanks a lot!!! :)

10 Aug 2010      

imanito
Morocco

Check these activities

11 Aug 2010     

menelmir
Hungary

Thank you, it is reallly useful !

Ivan

11 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

You could drop something (like an empty egg shell) and say, if I drop it, it will break, if I don �t drop it, it won �t break. If you tell me, I will know.....etc.....

Regards

11 Aug 2010     

foreign
Slovenia

I once used John Lennon �s Imagine to introduce the topic of second conditional and it went really well.

11 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

zero (always certain) - ask them to list the things in life we cannot change (you can start with simple things, such as if you spill water on yourself, you get wet, and they �ll eventually work on to if you do sth forbidden, your parents get mad...)
first (possible in the future) - this is easy - ask them to say what will happen if they break their parents rules - e. g. If I stay out after the appropriate time, my dad will... etc.
second (wish it were but isn �t) - things they wish to do/have right now, but don �t (ellicit funny responses - you can even offer some - e. g. ask them to use a specific word in a funny context - let �s say salame - If my face looked like salame, nobody would like it but my dog., and they also love celebrity similes such as If I were Beyonce... If I met Brad Pitt... If Robert Pattinson liked me...
third (wish it could be, but it �s can �t change the past) - things that are over and done with (unfortunately) I use some historic events here, but nothing too detailed, it �s not a history lesson, but it can also be events from movies and books - If the lifeguard had reached her in time, she would have been saved. If the Egyptians had inhabited Europe, perhaps they wouldn �t have built the pyramids. etc. - they love thinking about events in the past they wish they could change but can �t
mixed (past and present) - you let them change the past here - it �s a lot of fun - If the ancient Egyptians had conquered the world, perhaps we would now be communicating with the aliens. If Argentina had won the 2010 World Cup, I would now be the happiest person alive...

11 Aug 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Anita! amazed by your demonstration!Thumbs Up

11 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

Anita,

I copied you explanation to learn from it ... I love it

Thanks Teacher Thumbs Up

Sweet thoughts,

Babs

11 Aug 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

oh, thanks... you should see me teach it - it �s like proper fitness in a gym - I demonstrate things physically... my students have started asking me to review it that way every new school year - I guess they just get a kick off looking at little chubby old me tossing myself all around the classroom as if trying to save Middle EarthWink(I just hope they don �t manage to get a cell phone by me, film it and put it on youtube - it would destroy my authority forever)...

11 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

You would make a buzz maybe on youtube ... I would love watching you teach.
It must be great to learn from you Anita ;)
hugssssssssssssss Hug

11 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

I agree with Babs, If I go back to school I want Anita to be my teacherBig smile

Anita: I don �t  suppose you teach Polish? I start my advanced course in OctoberWink

11 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >