Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > WE or US???    

WE or US???

marsala
Brazil

WE or US???

"At the moment we are all watching a soap from Australia. There are lots of young actors in it and they have the same problems and experiences as WE or US."

Which one is correct, we or us????

Considering that this pronoun comes after the verb, it�s better using the object form.

Am I correct???

20 Aug 2010      

carinita
Argentina

I think "they have the same problems and experiences as WE" 
is correct
They have the same problems and experiences as we have...The second "have" is omitted
"they have the same problems as us" doesn �t sound
But I guess native speakers have the last word here

20 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

Of the two options it is us. To use we you would need to keep do or have, you can �t get rid of them via ellipsis here. I would probably use we do/we have instead of us though.

20 Aug 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Why can �t we get rid of �have �?

20 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

The difference is we is a subjective pronoun, but us is an objective pronoun.

It �s the same as they and them.
-I like pizza as much as they do. [i.e. I like pizza as much as they like pizza]
-I like pizza as much as them.
The subject is I, and in Marsala �s example it is the young actors, so we need an objective pronoun, or the subjective pronoun needs to continue to form a clause or a sentence.

We teachers are a funny bunch. Us teachers are a crazy bunch. If you got rid of teachers the second sentence doesn �t make sense. Here were would need to use the subjective pronoun we. [Despite this, it is a common mistake even for native speakers, especially younger people]

Hope that �s a little clearer:)

20 Aug 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Thumbs Up

20 Aug 2010     

marsala
Brazil

Thanks for your help.
In fact, I�d like to reinforce what I was thinking about.
As I had written before, I thought that the correct is US, because it�s an object pronoun in this case.

Sulekra, thanks for your grammar lesson!!! Great!!!

22 Aug 2010