Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Looking for authentic recordings (Part 2)    

Looking for authentic recordings (Part 2)

frenchfrog
France

Looking for authentic recordings (Part 2)

Just for those who might have missed it:

Believe me, helping French students improve their English is one of the most noble causes! LOLLOL (There is soooooooooo much to do!)

http://jeffreyhill.typepad.com/english/2009/11/why-france-is-pushing-its-students-to-master-english.html (French students �are quick to blame the teacher when they fail to make progress � Cry)

Do not answer this post! I will delete it after a while!

22 Aug 2010      

mariannina
Italy

Sylvie, bon jour, what is the programme that you are using? Is it possible to download it from internet?
Merci/thank you.
Hug

22 Aug 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

Hi frenchfrog!! thanks for your help in my previous post! I �ve just replied because when I checked last night, before going to bed, I saw no answers! Thank you again...

I �d also like to know about the program you are using to record voices.?? I �ve been reading the posts you�ve just posted and I guess the old-fashioned ways is being used in many countries but I also believe that it is totally unfair to blame all the teachers because the new methodology to teach students has been designed for enthusiastic students and students who are able to concentrate. Sometimes, you spend far more time asking them to be quiet (at least at school). so the time for �communicative � activities from where they can extract rules and learn to speak first � is reduced.

22 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Hi FF,

I just had a look at your previous post and what puzzles me is how people knew where to go..... Embarrassed
I mean, you did not give a link, and I have no idea what this audio dropbox is. Maybe that �s the reason more people have not tried recording.
Sorry if I am too slow with this....

22 Aug 2010     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Hey dear Frenchfrog, don �t delete it ; ))! I read the links you provided and the same thing happens  to the Brazilians students at schools. I �d like to know your opinion about this subject.

thanks a lot in advance,

Fernanda Nunes.

P.S.: I also would like to know how to use the the audio dropbox and where can we get it, especially for free hiihihihihi?!?!

22 Aug 2010     

frenchfrog
France

Sorry, I had to finish something and then my neurone asked for fresh air! LOL

It is not a programme, it is a site: http://clear.msu.edu/teaching/online/ria/ You have to register but it is free. This site offers great tools:
- Audio Dropboxes
- QuizBreak (to create fun Jeopardy-like games)
- a podcasting programme
- a programme that enables you to �record questions for your students to answer asynchronously �)
- Mashups (to �combine video, audio, text and interactive exercises) (a kind of Hot Potatoes)
- and other programmes!

When you create an audio dropbox, you get an HTML code that you have to paste in a web page and that is it! Nobody can access the recordings except you! What I like a lot about this is that the people who are going to record themselves do not have to install anything (contrary to Audacity which works differently with Vista, XP and I don �t know about Windows7!): they just need to click on the audio dropbox and plug a microphone! Then you can listen to the recordings online or you can save them as mp3 files! I think this site is going to simplify the way I teach! Students who are particularly shy can record themselves at home if they don �t want to speak in class in front of their friends. Thumbs Up
You can set a time limit for your audio dropbox up to 999 seconds (a little more than 15 minutes).

22 Aug 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Thanks FF! Sounds really promising, I am intrigued! If I have time, I �m going to try it with my students.

22 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Salut Laurence!
This sounds really great! I �ll bookmark your links - & will certainly try it ...when our holidays are over!LOL
Bonne rentr�e � tous! ( Enjoy going  back  to school )...Except Marie-th� - who will be working for us ; I �m planning to ask her for some ws...LOL)
Sylvie
edit = Leos rule...OK ?Wink ( not UK,...yet.Approve)

22 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Thumbs Up

22 Aug 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Dear Laurence, Sylvie, Montypython, Ikebana, Froggyclaudine etc.. All my French colleagues on this site !
For one last time before I am really and definitely considered as a has been,  and after seeing the article about English teaching in France , I see red!! I am absolutely fed up with that sort of article which splashes  clich�s and communplaces on the first page of national newspapers!
I am fed up with those statistics which prove nothing! I am fed up with all these comparisons with no sound or serious research behind! !
Do you know that for the first 4 years at secondary school teachers are really encouraged to work on the speaking skills of the pupils and then when comes the baccalaur�at, it is based on written competences!
Moreover, the French system is still very traditionnal and when it comes to learning or teaching a language, you need to put in some fun and fun is considered a waste of time in our system by everyone (teachers, parents, kids and public opinion!)
Apart from that, English pronunciation is so far apart from the French phonetic system that it is not surprising if our children find it so difficult! I once listened to a programme on France Culture explaining about all this! I am not making it up as I am writing!!
As a conclusion, Laurence, Sylvie, Claudine, Fabienne, Stephanie.....I wish you good luck for the rest of your career and I wish the politicians in power and the show offs whose words they dare publish in " le monde" would see the work you do! SHAME ON THEM!!!

22 Aug 2010     

frenchfrog
France

Honestly, I think we will never see the end of the tunnel. Cry
Our president would like all our students to be bilingual. Well, I �d like to hear him speak... I don �t understand why the journalists do not continue the interview in English whenever this topic is raised. In fact, I do know why: they cannot speak English either!! (well not all of them...)

Remember Raffarin (Prime Minister): The YES needs the NO to win against the NO (or something similar with an awful accent, or rather no accent at all). OH MY GOD!!!

HELP SAVE FRENCH STUDENTS! LOLCry

(but it is hard not to give up ...)

Do you know that my main challenge is to make my students not hate English?!!! (Read again: I did not write �like � or �love �, I wrote �not hate �)

22 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >