Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > What do you think guys?    

What do you think guys?

Jamais-Vu
Mexico

What do you think guys?

Hey there Hello!!!

Firstly, I want to congratulate every teacher who is part if this great site, thanks for sharing all these superb ideas!!!

Well, I have a suggestion: Why don�t this site also accepts PDF formats? I mean, It would be A LOT easier for some of us to simply convert .DOC, .XLS files into .PDF files because when we want to add a printable full of good images, we are forced to "sacrifice" quality due to size restictions (300 KB max) or we have to upload many files for just 1 exercise. PDF files  are also"smaller" in size, which can be good for the site.

Ok, whatcha say? I Hope you support my idea ;).

All Right guys see ya!!!

�till next printable!! TKKR

28 Nov 2008      

guivalquer
Brazil

I totally agree. I�ve been thinking about it since I�ve created my account in this website.
It would be much easier for us, and also, we would be able to do more beautiful and colorful worksheets.

28 Nov 2008     

dareka1
Japan

The idea is that the worksheet can be adapted as needed. The pdf format (unless you have Adobe Creative Suite) doesn�t let you change the worksheet to suit your needs. Hence word and powerpoint only. (I also thought pdf would be a good idea when I first joined, I can see why it is probably better to stay with word and powerpoint now though. It also helps with making sure people make their own worksheets)

28 Nov 2008     

zeboshen
Uzbekistan

i do not think it is a good idea, as many other sites for english teachers represent printables in pdf, so it will be too easy for THIEVES to steal something cute and upload it here! so word is better in this situation.

28 Nov 2008     

Nelssa
Ukraine

The pdf format (unless you have Adobe Creative Suite) doesn�t let you change the worksheet to suit your needs. Don�t let us make the things more complicated!

28 Nov 2008     

Jamais-Vu
Mexico

guivalquer; I ran into the same problem with some worksheets I have. And not only because size but also �cause I use .XLS files to create alphabet soups, crosswords, etc. and when I try to paste the file in a .DOC file, the original format becomes a mess and it�s very time-consuming to rearrange the format again. So what do I do? I paste it as PAINT image, which is bad �cause this way ppl can�t edit my pritable!!!

Lemme contact the admin fo this site to have a word or two abt� this. If you can also help me out with this, even better. Take Kare Man!!

dareka1; I agree with you. Every format has its pros and cons. But what I have noticed searching for exercises in this site is that ppl paste their worksheets as PAINT images (I have done that too), so at the end the same problem persist �cause not only you are sacrificing quality but also you�re not letting other ppl to edit your printable.

And, if the only problem is getting the software, contact me and I�ll be gald to share it with you ppl. Or even uploading it in any site you would think it�s OK.

And, speaking about authenticity of the worksheets, it�s a problem you�ll face with any format - I think this is not a format issue but honesty matter.

Take care and thanks for your comments!!!

28 Nov 2008     

Jamais-Vu
Mexico

zeboshen; Hi thanks for your comments. And don�t you think in the possibility that thieves can just download a worksheet form this site, convert it into PDF file and then just post it in a new site with their names on it? As I said before, "it�s a problem you�ll face with any format - I think this is not a format issue but honesty matter."

Take Care!!! Regards!!!

Nelsa; Hello!!! thnx for your comments. I can provide the software to you, just contact me, and I�m just talking about opening another possibility, of course not everybody is gonna use it, but the more possibilities we have available, the more tools we can use to share our work.

Thanks and take care!!! Regards.

28 Nov 2008     

libertybelle
United States

The good thing about PDF is what you see is what you get.
No changing of the format  -everything is as the author intended.
On the other hand  - you can�t make corrections or adapt it to your own students.

The good thing about Doc. files is you can "correct" mistakes that
the author didn�t catch first time around.
On the otherhand - you have to reformat things like fonts and push
images around.

If I handed out a worksheet with spelling and grammar mistakes -
I�d have half of my parents on my back!!

So there�s pros and cons with both.
L

28 Nov 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Regarding the problem with not being able to edit a pdf:

there are many pdf converter programs available so that you could download pdf, convert to word and then edit...  On the otherhand it would encourage peopel to check their work more carefully which would be of benefit to them when they use their own worksheet.  nothing worse than students spotting mistakes that you weren�t expecting!

I was wondering - what do you use to create pdf files?  I have never worked with this type of document - only with the microsoft suite.  Does anyone have a tutorial for creating pdf�s? that would be great to download!

Regarding the honesty issue:
I think that is a problem in whatever format you work in.  there will always be cheats around - we just have to get on as best as we can and report them I suppose.  It is usually quite easy to pick a copied worksheet in any format...

I support the idea if Victor does of course it being his website and all...LOL

28 Nov 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

In response to HOW to create a PDF for me it was an add on to my word program so when I save I can save as a PDF as one of my options.

My own personal point of view is that I prefer how we do things in Word (Not PDF) and if there was any other file types to be added it would be publisher way over PDF as in publisher it is so easy to create interesting files more easily than in word. My reasons for not liking PDF is that I don�t want the hassle of converting a file back to word. Yes we can use worksheets the way they are, BUT often they are adapted slightly to fit our students or whoever we are using them for. Eg: some may take out the colour and borders etc to save on ink, some may add extra activities in, some may change the wording to be relevant to our level, age or cultural backgrounds. Word is excellent for this.

There will be cheats no matter what format is used unfortunately.

For those that struggle with large file sizes, just compress your pics as you go. I have made files too with pics that have been way to large, and I have either used Photo shop to reduce resolution and size or usually the compress option in word when you format the picture also works. I also use PPTMinimizer as well if needed and it has been fine. In fact  wish more people WOULD compress their files because sometimes I get a little annoyed for SOME files that have been split into two downloads when ONE download would have been more than fine.

In fact I wonder sometimes if it is a point making factor. Because the creator would get double the points for what could be just one single download. Now before a lot of people write in all upset with what I have just noted. I am not accusing anyone, and it�s not everybody and yes there are a lot of genuine worksheets that even when reduced are too big so need to be split. BUT there are some that with reduction and compression could easily be one single download. In fact if it is indicated that the file is more than one download I usually check it out whether I want to give 2 or more downloads to essentially one piece of work. And its not often that I do.
Just a thought.

28 Nov 2008     

wolfy
Chile

I agree with cheezels, and yes before you look I have divided my ws in the past before I knew how to reduce the size of images. �I don�t think there�s a need for pdf as mentioned by others it�s not obvious to edit pdf and some people have trouble with word, the forum would be full of questions about how do I edit this ws?

29 Nov 2008