Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Access to Sex offenders list    

Access to Sex offenders list

Logos
Malaysia

Access to Sex offenders list

This may not be the correct forum to pose this question, but maybe someone could direct me to a place where I can find the answer.  I am responsible for recruiting teachers from English speaking countries (US, Canada, UK etc) to teach primary school children in Asia.  Now I know that in most developed countries establishments that employ personnel who will be working with children can (and in some cases have to) check with a sex offenders list to ensure that the person they are employing may not be on the list.

As an employer outside of these countries, does anyone know if there is any system whereby we can check if applicants are on any list in their country of origin.

One hears of western peadophiles being arrested in countries such as Vietnam and Thailand because they could not practice their extra curricular activities in their own land.  I would hate it if one of the greatest exports we have in the west is peadophiles to the east

25 Aug 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
I don �t know if that �s what you �re looking for but in France to become a teacher you have to show your police record. maybe that would be a solution!
however you must know that not all sex offenders have been prosecuted, so it �s technically impossible to ensure you won �t hire one...
have a nice day!
Elodie

25 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

As we don �t have any history of such things , and if they are-they are isolated cases- we are not asked for our police record. But it seems to me it is a very good idea to ask it. Sexual freaks are something that any parent is afraid of. Censored 
There is a joke about this: Question: What �s the difference between a teacher and a pedophile?
Answer: A pedophile loves kids!

25 Aug 2010     

douglas
United States

http://www.nsopw.gov/Core/Conditions.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
Here �s something that may help Logos.

25 Aug 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Just ask for a police clearance aka criminal background check before letting applicants sign on the dotted line.

BTW, this is not foolproof as many potential paedophiles have never been convicted... Just use some common sense and intuition as well if possible.

25 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Logos

Here, we have to have a police criminal record check as well as a Working with Children Check before we can work in schools.  The formats of these checks vary between the different states of Australia.  Where I live my WWC is a plastic card with a three year life span. The police check is organised by my employer

One of the problems is that if applicants are new to this country there is no way for employers to check these records in their native or other countries.  For that matter, there is no way for them to check the records of Aussies who have worked overseas.

I guess, what you could do is, ask for these checks from the coutry where they are currently teaching.  If they are currently teaching in a recognised school system they should already have these documents.

Cheers

Jayho

25 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

In England, if you want to work with children you have to have a CRB check.

Here �s the link to the page with information - perhaps there �s something there that will help you!

http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Lindsey

25 Aug 2010