Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Dear fans    

Dear fans

cauffeepot
Benin

Dear fans

I �ve eaten a whole bag of candy and I feel sick now. Besides that unpleasantness, in one week! I �m going to teach grade 2. I need advice, please! How do I make Guided Reading groups? What do I do in the first week?

29 Aug 2010      

Vickiii
New Zealand

What a fun question.

First week do a �ME � unit.  Play name games where the children use each others names alot
eg - pass the ball around a circle saying the person name you are going to pass too.  then time it and get them to do in the same order but faster and faster and faster...
Do name art
eg - write their name then mirror image it and make names into bugs to put on wall.
write name in word art and put a picture as the fill showing their favourite hobby.

Do a passport - I have one under my name to give ideas - will need to make it easier for little-ees.

Guided Reading
Set up 3- 5 activities that children can do independently
- puzzles
- alphabet match games
- computer spelling games
- handwriting fun activities
- board games - I use bogglesworld ones like cvc games as well as bought ones and my own design.  All games should be teaching spelling rules or sight words.
- sightword fish and other games.

Have the children go round the activity stations - change every 15 min for that age.  While they are doing the independent activities you take reading groups based on reading level.

Use a scrapbook (Helping or Learning Book) for each group.
Write the title of the book and what the children are learning to do.
Emergent readers - learning a sight word or punctuation or sounding out words or grammar
Fluent readers - comprehension strategies like I am learning to find facts or put fact into my own words.

Read the book with the kids - asking a question per page for fluent readers to find the answer to (based on your learning intention).

Set them off with an activity that repeats the learning intention - eg I am learning to put facts into my own words - get the kids to draw a picture of one of the animals in the book and add a fact to the picture.

Hope this helps

29 Aug 2010     

presto2
Australia

Hey there,
Dont be scared they are harmless!
Guided reading groups are made according to reading levels. Simply determine the childrens reading levels and bunch them into the number of groups you have...I have 5 groups at present. The groups may have a range of levels for example levels 13,14,15 and I teach to the middle/lower end.
Hope that helps!!
Nic

29 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

It �s good advice presto2 but I think the students would be scared if they knew what our dear cauffeepot got up to in this forum in her many moments of boredom LOL

29 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

I always thought cauffeepot was a man??!!

29 Aug 2010     

lovemykids
Uruguay

Me too...Confused can you answer that cauffee??? I �m intrigued now...
 ...I can �t believe you are making a question related to teaching!... Of course your comments regarding your anxiety or in other words, your crave for eating can �t be left aside....Tongue

BTW I think our colleagues � ideas are just great and they are very useful as usual.
take care

29 Aug 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

I �m a woman but if it bothers you, I �m a man. Now on to important matters. It �s not the kids I �m scared of. I �ve heard repeatedly that the parents have their long noses and their sticky fingers in classroom business. I love the Me unit-I will definitely try that. But being new to the school I don �t havr reading levels. Do I just pick a book at random and do a running record on it? So many things to learn!

30 Aug 2010