Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > 1ST LESSONS    

1ST LESSONS

margax
Spain

1ST LESSONS

ANY NEW AND BRILLIANT IDEAS FOR OUR FIRST SEPTEMBER LESSONS?

29 Aug 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Yes Kermit,
Ask God for another month of summer.

On a serious note, that would all depend on what age and level of students you have.
One thing I have done in the past that has been very successful is to write a few sentences about a current even on the news (including a few questions and answers) and get one of the students to teach a mini lesson on that subject.
This tends to break the ice pretty well.

Good luck!

29 Aug 2010     

Akanah
Spain

Hi!
 I don �t know yours, but my kids LOVE talking about themselves :=) You can ask them about their summer. Each student says a couple of sentences about it "I went to Paris." "I went to the beach." And then you ask the rest: "Have you ever been to Paris?. Do you like going to the beach?" You can use this http://iteslj.org/questions/vacation.html and adapt the questions depending on the kids � grade. 
 They can also work on a summer mural with photos or use eslp �s summer worksheets. 

Good luck :=)
 Olga

29 Aug 2010     

szamoca
Hungary

1. take your summer bag into the class with some significant items in connection with your summer holiday. Tell Ss to ask questions about these items and they can find out about your summer.

2. take some World cup photos into the class and talk about the result of the World cup, predictions and final results, best players/worst etc.

3. how much do you know about your teacher? Compile a set of true or false statements about yourself, Ss ask questions to find out if they are true or false

4. ask Ss whether they used English during summer, in what situation, were they pleased with their solving the situation?

These are the activities I am going to do at the first lessons. I am still thinking one for elementary level. I hope it helps.

29 Aug 2010     

chalco
France

I often start the school year with an ice-breaker called "the toilet paper game" ... they love it !!!

Good luck

30 Aug 2010     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

thanks!nice game!!

30 Aug 2010     

margax
Spain

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Thanks a lot for your nice ideas!!!

5 Sep 2010