Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Problem with overbearing student    

Problem with overbearing student

lshorton99
China

I had a very similar situation in an advanced class and I approached it from the opposite angle. Rather than seeing her as a negative, try seeing her as a positive. Make her your teaching assistant - give her extra work to do and get her to teach short segments of the class. I used to get mine to teach ten minutes every class - usually something I didn �t want to teach (terrible, I know!). Assign her a book - I used �Pride and Prejudice � - and get her to do writing and grammar exercises based on that. Tell her that because she �s the best student, you expect more from her than the others and never let her get complacent. If she knows something you �re doing in advanced, give her proficiency work. Push her as hard as you can - she �ll appreciate it. I actually ended up becoming friends with my student and six years later we �re still in touch! She became a full-time Spanish teacher in the UK and we exchange classroom stories!

Lindsey

31 Aug 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Once in a while in life you find people who are really unhappy about themselves, and take out their fustrations on those around them.  I once had an adult student who had been everywhere, done everything, and knew everthing.  I had several private talks with her and told her how her attitude was affecting others in the class.  Her reply was that it was her personality and she coudn �t don anything about it.  She would behave herself for a day or two and then out came her Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde. 
I would say what Silk suggested is good sound advice to use for most students, but once in a while, there is that special someone. 
My advice to you is like the others have mentioned, push him or her a little harder by asking more difficulty questions and perhaps letting this person help others.  

31 Aug 2010     

Marla D.
United States

Hi,
I am curious. You said she has teaching experience. What has she taught? Do you know the age of the students?

1 Sep 2010     

linda306de
Germany

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions. I �ll let you know if anything improves in the situation.

This lady has done the Proficiency exam so it �s really hard to find material hard enough for her. I need things that a native speaker deals with.

I don �t know exactly who she has taught.

I agree that it is a personality problem more than a level problem. I �ve had advanced students before (although none were as advanced as she is) and they never made such a fuss about my lessons! Well, I guess there �s a first time for everything.

One other thing that I �m going to try to pull off is to divide the group into 2 groups so I only have her for half of the time (the other half will be for her and one other student to prepare their presentations.) That way, two other students who were intimidated by her will have a half a lesson without her.

Luckily I only have the group once a week but the course lasts until May!!!

Thanks again for your help. If you come up with any other suggestions later, I �d still be interested.

Best Wishes from Lin

Hug 

1 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2