Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > A Reading Project: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde    

A Reading Project: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

LittleSunshine11
Germany

A Reading Project: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Hi everyone,

I �m going to start a B2 class soon and will have them do a reading project. I �m thinking "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

I know there was a movie in 2009, maybe I will have a look at that, too. But what are your ideas? Has anyone ever covered that book in class?

I �m grateful for any suggestion! Thanks and have a nice day! Smile

31 Aug 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

There is a movie with Sean Connery �The League of Gentlemen � in which one of the characters is Dorian Gray, so you might use a clip or two from it. It is quite interesting.
The topic itself is fantastic, even though your sts may think it obsolete at first, but imagine having a picture to store your age in, or anything like that - it �s an absolutely wonderful topic for debates. Which objects in your household/room could you imagine as such a �storage �? If not your age, what would you like to store in it? What would you do if this happened to you? What can vanity do to people? ( mean, just look around - isn �t the image one of the key things nowadays - plastic surgery, botox-parties, you name it...) What �s the difference between vanity and pride? There �s that R. Williams song Bodies which also puts it nicely.
And if you use the search engine here at ESL - there are so many great wss for it right here!
PS: Pming you a poem by our very own franknbea (with his permission) which goes perfectly with the topic)...

31 Aug 2010