Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

franknbea
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

Hello one and all!

Today �s word is: Xylopolist
All guesses welcome.

Whilst I appreciate that native speakers have an advantage over others in the size of their vocabulary, it isn �t my intention to make anyone frustrated or feel inadequate because they don �t know what a word means. I therefore encourage especially non-natives to have a guess. It �s just a game. If there is anyone alive who knows the English language in its entirety I would love to meet them, and then I would eat my hat.
Have fun folks.
Answer later

1 Sep 2010      

joy2bill
Australia

Well, xylo reminds me of xylophone and polis is like police or maybe politician so maybe it �s

a politician dressed as a policeman playing a xylophone...or maybe NOT!
This is fun...forget the real definition!

1 Sep 2010     

vickyvar
Greece

Well, I �m Greek and this reminds me of a Greek word, so here is what I think!
"Xylo" in Greek means "wood" and "polist" reminds me of a Greek word (politis) that means
"seller". So, it could mean someone who sells wood.

Maybe it �s silly, but hey.... have you seen the film "My big fat Greek wedding"?
Well, it seems that all English words have Greek origins according to it!!!!!  :)))))

Please, don �t get me wrong!!! It is meant to be a joke!

Have a nice day!!!

1 Sep 2010     

valentinaper
Greece

Hi!
For me it seems like a word to describe someone who participates in a game using a wooden bat!
Just a flash, hope I �m lucky! 

1 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

He �s a preschool monopolist - the only one in a group of kids who wants to and can play the xylophone and doesn �t let anyone else touch the xylophone!

1 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

.....so xzylo is Greek for wood -
then I think this must be someone who an expert in the field of wooden pole science.

1 Sep 2010     

Urpi
Peru

I agree with my colleagues about XYLO, maybe it comes from xylophone which we know is a musical instrument so if guitarrist is the one who plays tha guitar, therefore xylopolist might be the one who plays the xylophone.Tongue

1 Sep 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

xylopolist

xylo=wood
poli= comes from the word poli-grip -meaning a substance to glue dentures

xylopolist= someone who makes wooden dentures.

1 Sep 2010     

mariannina
Italy

I agree with you Giovanni: one who makes woden dentures and...plays them as a xylophone!!! LOL

1 Sep 2010     

teacher jessie
Argentina

For me it certainly has to be related to Greece, though there are some "K"missing. LOLOLWink

1 Sep 2010     

adriennesmiles
Australia

@joy2bill - you made me laugh the most!

I thought it was someone who played the xylophone...but think i �ll cancel that definition and make it more specific to your defintion now!Big smile

1 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >