Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Have you visited America?    

Have you visited America?

arlissa
United States

Have you visited America?

Hello teachers,

I used to teach ESL, but now I �m a full-time artist. I �m working on a series of artworks that have to do with people who visit America from other countries. I want to show the failed or fulfilled expectations of people who come to the USA for the first time. If you have time and you have visited America, will you please answer a few questions? (You can reply to post or PM with answers)

1. Before coming to America, what did you expect about the country and its people?

2. After arriving in America, did you find your expectations were true or false? In what ways?

3. Why did you come to America? (i.e. tourist, work, school, etc.)

4. What is one thing you found surprising about America or its people after your arrival?

5. What country are you from?

6. What part of America did you visit (name a city or state)?

7. Are you male or female?

Thank you so much for your input. I plan to make a series of artworks to show America through the eyes of other people. In the meantime, you can view some of my other artwork on my website if you like: http://www.arlissavaughn.com

I really appreciate your responses, and if you participate and want to know how the artwork turns out, you can sign up for my newsletter on my website to keep in touch. Thank you! :)

4 Sep 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi Arlissa,
I first visited the USA 3 years ago, with & 1 colleague & 15 students....
1/ I expected people to be very friendly, & they were!!! I �ve been organizing trips abroad for years, but this one has been the best one for our kids : They were so warmly welcomed that they were crying when we left the USA!!!! I couldn �t believe it!!! Most of the kids I took over there have had a regular  exchange ( e-mails, letters, visits...) that keeps going on...
2/ We expected to see many police officers - but not that many!!! I/we were amazed to see so many police cars/officers everywhere....Getting into the country was really diifficult : One of my students had a heart surgery & would have made all these machines �ring � when he went  through.... He was really stopped ( he was 16 ) & asked as if he were a terrorist. I spent a lot of time explaining, & re-assuring he was OK. Still, entering the USA can be ....frightening. When you �re 16.
3/ I came with 15 kids - aged 14 to 16 on a school exchange - everything paid by Veterans of WWII. We live by the D-Day beaches in Normandy, & every year, we have a celebration for American , British & Canadian veterans here.
4/ What surprised us most was the amount of police officers - I guess.
5/ We �re a group from France : Two teachers & 15 kids.
6/ We visited WDC, & Virginia, mainly.
7/ I �m a female teacher, teaching in a Junior high school in Northern Normandy. this trip has been one of the most fantastic ones ( I �ve made quite a few to the UK & Ireland ) : My kids were so warmly welcomed in their American families!!! They were crying when we left... Most of them have been keeping contact with their US families, & even if quite poor, plan to go back one day.
To my country standards, we were all very lucky!!! I �ll always remember this �special � trip for two reasons :
- How kind & nice the American families were!!
- How difficult it was for me to organize, have my kids feel relaxed, & enter the USA - with a handicaped child.
All I keep in mind is positive ; I keep getting mails from my �kids � who went to the USA, & were soooooooooo happy : Because of the warm welcome there. American families are soooooooo nice & kind, & helpful!!! I �ll never forget them - & will - as a teacher - will always be so grateful!
PS : I work in a �special � school : where kids come from poor families here. They were my happiness, my Love, my pride.
I took me a whole year to prepare them for the speeches they �d make - in English - before the French ambassador & alike in WDC. They were not very good ;o))) But they did it.
I �ll love them forever - just for what they did!!!
Sylvie
 PS : Please, sorry about  my English tonight!!! I�m back from a very looong meeting, I�m tired & not very good at English tonight, I�m afraid! It�s just I loved your post & wanted to answer... & Tell you how much love my kids got when they went to the USA.  Hope everyone here will forgive my (�pidgin� English - ...
Just back from a �French Educational meeting - 8 hours long ..........Dead

4 Sep 2010     

melahel7
Canada

America doesn �t exist my friend, it �s a continent and it �s actually North America.  I guess you mean the United States of America.  Also, there �s no such thing as americans.  American is a term which designates all the people living in north america.  This means canadians and mexicans are american too.  People living in the USA are state unians .  State unians have been brainwashed to think they are americans and that the USA is America.  If you go to Italy, people will tell you they are italians not europeans.  Same thing here.  I really hope this brings awareness.  Time to put an end to this myth...

5 Sep 2010     

arlissa
United States

Actually, we �re called "Americans" as it is derived from America, which is part of the country name "United States of America". I think you �ll have a hard time trying to convince everyone to start using the term "State Unians". And this is not something unique to Americans. 

- People from the Democratic Republic of Congo are Congolese, not Democratic Republicans
- People from the Russian Federation are Russian, not Federates
- People from the Swiss Confederation are Swiss, not Confederates
- People from the United Kingdom call themselves by their region, not United Kings or King Unians (as you might say)

So, you see, it is actually correct to call someone from the USA an American.

The rule seems to be that when a term of political use is part of the country name it is not used as part of the term for nationality.

Now, as to the use of "America" as short for USA...well, sorry you �re so pissed off about it, but you can choose to be pissed off or go with the flow. I go with the flow on this one.

5 Sep 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hello Sylvie, lovely to "read you" again !!

Melahel, I �ll tell you one thing, most of us in this part of America would agree with you !
We don �t use the term "America" for the USA, as we are part of it too . We always say United States or the States, but we call its people Americans.

Now Arlissa, I was invited by two Americans to visit PA, VA and DC. I really didn �t have many expectations , I was just curious about speaking with natives and make myself understood, which was a great experience (although an African American bus driver in DC gave me a hard time !! I couldn �t understand much of what he said, I missed a lot of what he explained ! )

I found surprising how people say "Excuse me" all the time ! And how much food they waste! I couldn �t believe when my friend threw away a piece of pie because I refused to eat more ... I hadn �t even touched the plate ! Maybe that �s the thing that surprised me the most, kitchens are always clean because the microwave is the only thing they use !
Another thing I was surprised about was that I, as a tourist, was taken to places my friends decided would be interesting ... I was shocked to see most of them were war memorials ... and a cemetery ...

I loved to see how punctual and organised people are ! We could use some of that punctuality and organisation here, I can assure you !!  And Alexandria is one of the most beautiful cities I�ve ever been to ...
That �s all Arlissa, hope you can use this, too !
Have a good night, everyone !

5 Sep 2010     

arlissa
United States

Thank you Sylvie and Alicia and the many others who �ve PM �d their responses! Any more responses are definitely welcome. Currently I �ve begun two of the works of art. One uses the idea from an Aruban friend who said her childhood expectation came from something she was told about the USA - that "the trees are as big as buildings!" Hehe, it �s a cute story because I guess there aren �t many trees in Aruba that are very tall. The other piece of art that I began today was from a PM received today sharing her surprise at how many American flags she saw in or in front of homes and businesses. Many more artworks to follow....it �s kind of a big series and will take a while to complete.

5 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

Arlissa, will you post this art project on your website and a link here to take us there if you do?

As for the whole business about people from the USA being "Americans" or not:  it is rather frustrating that there�s not been another word developed that�s been generally accepted and used. I think a few other terms have been tried (in addition to the many pejorative variations), but nothing else seems to have really caught on.

Personally, I haven�t used the term for decades because it seems to me it refers to everyone living in North, Central, and South America.  When I�ve been abroad, other people referred to me as "American" even though I pointed out that I was from the US. 

I kind of like the sound of  "estadounidense" (Spanish), which I suppose is sort of like "united statesian", but it rolls off the tongue a lot more smoothly, somehow.  However, you�d end up with a similar problem since other countries are "united" (republics, emirates, etc.) including "united states", e.g. Estados Unidos Mexicanos (United Mexican States).

So, if anyone in the rest of America (North, Central, or South) can turn the tide, I say go for it!  Pick a name and see if you can get the world to change what it calls those of us from the USA.

5 Sep 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

Hi Arlissa
               I will try to help you with your quiz
I went to the Us more than 10 years ago, I was invited to work as an interpreter. Some people from Argentina were visiting Chicago because there was a machinary show at a big center and they needed somebody who could translate Spanish into English. 
I was really exited because it was the first time I �d go to an English speaking country. You see, I learned my English from American English and Australian teachers who came to Argentina. They talked about their countries with such a passion that everybody wanted to go a see what they were like, but it was really expensive back then to do that.
 Then, when I decided to become a teacher I had to learned a lot about English and American history, Literature, geography and many other things. I know more about these things than of my own country. To sum up the expectations for someone that had heard during all her life about the greatness of a country, were really high. 
My teachers used to tell me how free people lived in the States and that if you worked there, no matter how importatnt you job was, you could earn enough money to live a life of luxury. In those days, in Agentina,we were living under military ruling and our parents had to work 10 hour to get a decent salary, so when we heard about freedon and living a great life without much effort, we thought the US was "Wonderland" 
Ten years ago I had the opportunity of visiting the Us for th first time. I spent 17 days in Chicago, 5 days in New York and 5 more in Miami. Chicago was amazing! I just loved the buildings, the clean parks and its people. I was even lucky to witness the shooting of a moving in the streets. People were sometimes nice. I remember that the first days there, whenever somebody asked me why I was vising the States I said that I was working and I received nasty faces to that answer. LAter my boss told me to say that I was a tourist and the faces changed to friendly ones. I also discovered that nobody except one person knew something about other country that was not their own. Most people confused my country "Argentina" with "Brazil" or didn �t know that I was American too. Some even thought that we lived in tents dressed as "Gauchos". I was really amazed at how little American people knew about other countries. They could speak for hours about the US but they didn �t know who their neighbours were. Another thing that also caught my attention was how lonely people live. Family is not as important as it is for latin people mainly. I saw many young people living alone and not visiting their parents for a long time. I also noticed there were very few bars with tables were you can go a sit with a friend and have a nice chat. People worked a lot. They would finish working and would go home or to a bar to have a beer sometimes alone. I remember I thought it would be very difficult for a me to live like that because I like visiting my friends after work or having a warm hug from my mum, but I must admit that I love the architecture and how clean everything looked.

I hope my experience would help you somehow.
Love from Argentina.

5 Sep 2010     

arlissa
United States

Sue Thom - yes I can post it, but it will be some time before they are finished, maybe even a month or more depending on some factors! However, I will most likely track the progress of the artworks here: http://arlissavaughn.com/journal.html and you can check that in a few days to see what I �ve done so far. Thanks for your interest in the project! :)

cacucacu - I �m sorry you experienced some of the ignoranance that resides in the USA. However, thank you for your response!

5 Sep 2010     

cacucacu
Argentina

Arlissa: Thanks for listening. I really appreciate that you take an interest in listening to what people have to say. Let me tell you that on the whole I had a really nice experiece that I hope to repeat some day soon.
Thanks again
Natalia

5 Sep 2010     

baiba
Latvia

I loooooooove your paintings Arlissa! I love your style and I love the colors! Fabulous!

5 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >