Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Ask for help    

Ask for help

Mabdel
Morocco

Ask for help

Dear collegues.

Hope you �re doing well. I need your help again.Am little  bit confused.
Do we say :
" To paint paintings or drawings which noun goes with paint "
Dance in or at the party.
Shop in at the supermarket.
Thanks a lot in advance. I do really appreciate your help.

6 Sep 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, dear Mabdel! :))

I �m giving you my opinion, but I �m sure our natives will have some other suggestions, too. ;)

You paint a picture.

You dance at a party.

You do your shopping at the supermarket.

Best wishes - Silke

6 Sep 2010     

5puravida5
Costa Rica

Hi Mabdel,

I �m one of the "natives" that Lina referred to and I agree with her. But a person could also "paint" a drawing. Usually, a drawing is made by pencil or charcoal. But one could then "paint" the drawing. Likewise one could "draw" a painting. Frequently, art students are asked to go to the museum and "draw" or "sketch" well known paintings. I hope this doesn �t confuse the issue. :)

Cheryl

6 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

Silke �s answers are excellent. I �ll add that you can "make" a painting or a drawing.

Bruce

6 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

Paintings usually refer to pictures that are made with oils, pigments, etc. You can also paint with watercolors.  They �re different than drawings, which are usually created with pencil, chalk, ink, etc.  I don �t know why this is, it just is.  I �m sure some of my artist friends could explain this better.

You can "paint a painting" and you �ll find a few examples of that in a corpus, but the repetition sounds a little awkward.  Usually when I hear someone talk about painting something, they �re more specific, e.g. paint a portrait, paint a landscape.

If you tell me you are drawing a painting, it sounds to me like you �re making a drawing (maybe with a pencil) of a painting--you �re copying a work already produced in another medium.

Hope this isn �t too picky or confusing.

Sue

6 Sep 2010