Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > TRAINERS - SNEAKERS: American - British - or just synonym?    

TRAINERS - SNEAKERS: American - British - or just synonym?

estefy_busso
Argentina

TRAINERS - SNEAKERS: American - British - or just synonym?

Hello there!

Today I taught to my children, and the topic was.... "clothes". I taught them some pieces of cloth, one of them: TRAINERS.
But one of my Ss, who attends English classes in an academy, told me SNEAKERS, and I knew it, but I always teach "trainers". What is the difference? American - British?

Thanks for your help! Big smile

7 Sep 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Exactly. One correction though it �s vice-versa: AmE sneakers, BrE trainersSmile
Sophia

7 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Sophia is right. Most Brits say "trainers".

7 Sep 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Sneakers is a more generic term... There are sneakers for running, basketball, handball, etc. Trainers as in cross trainers are sneakers that can be used for more than one sport. I �ve also heard the term "tenis" (possibly from tennis shoes) from some Canadian friends and it is also used in Puerto Rico to refer to sneakers.  Ed

7 Sep 2010     

estefy_busso
Argentina

Thanks ueslteacher, Lina, and Ed!

Thank you very much!

Ed: Tenis is very used in Mexico also, let �s say that it can be used in both languages, Eng and Spa.

Have a marvelous day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

7 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

Sneakers really isn �t used much in the US these days. In the past, before sports shoes became a huge industry, canvas shoes with rubber or vinyl soles were called sneakers. Now it �s much more common to hear "sports shoes", "athletic shoes" or specifically "running shoes".

Bruce

7 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

Yano is correct, but you also still hear "tennis shoes" which, with the word "sneakers" were the most used where I grew up (West Coast).

7 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with Bruce and Douglas.  Sneakers are/were canvas shoes used for tennis or with jeans. I have something like Sneakers or tennis shoes. They made a big comeback a few years ago and were made by Kawasaki

The great thing about tennis shoes is that you could throw them in the washing machine.  Trainers are more often leather with all kinds of "star-war" looking soles that have a much better support and are used for all kinds of training  - such as jogging, tennis, running, aerobics - whatever!

7 Sep 2010