Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I need help    

I need help

olga1977
Russian Federation

I need help

I �ve got a studend of 10years with audial sensing (he isn �t blind or deaf). And he can �t learn letters, but he remembers the texts, when anybody reads it. And he can �t remember the words by heart. Can you give me some hints on how teach letters and even words for such children, please!!!
Thanks in advance!

14 Sep 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

Is there any way you could record the text? The school could lend him a tape player (the miniature ones) or an mp3 player.  We had a student here who had his dictations on tape and it was really helpful.

14 Sep 2010     

summerwinds
Saudi Arabia

yes,olga

i �ve tought a student like him. she can �t read, but she remembered the shape of the words. and she repeated the words i said. in the exam, i asked her to match the pictures with simple words, dictiation or reading ( i read and she repeate. 

14 Sep 2010     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

For some of my autistic students, I shaped letters from play-do (clay). In other cases I have used music to learn words.

Feeling energetic ... make the letter shapes with your body or fingers.

You need to find the way that he learns best outside of traditional pen/paper methods.

Even in a regular mainstream P12 class I have taught sign language alphabet to help them with their dictation.

Surely this child has an assessment you can get a hold of from school counsellor or parents that you could use to help you. You need to start there really.

Special children have special needs!!!!!!

15 Sep 2010