Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Do you teach dyslexic students?    

Do you teach dyslexic students?

blunderbuster
Germany

Do you teach dyslexic students?

Hi,

Have you ever taught dyslexic students? What kind of exercises, tests should I avoid?

Regards

15 Sep 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, Regina!

Check these websites, please:

- Silke

15 Sep 2010     

adriennesmiles
Australia

I don �t personally but i have a friend who made a program that can be used with dyslexic kids to help them overcome their dyslexia and actually enjoy reading, it is also great to teach really young children to read...

you can look at the website and resources available for purchase here:

15 Sep 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

You should avoid to teach a lot of grammar or verbs, instead teach them functions and a little vocabulary. Don �t focus your attention on spelling but on general meaning of the sentence, and let them read aloud only if they want. You should prefer oral tests but if it is necessary to have written tests, give them matching exercises (pictures and words), sentences to complete (with the words written in a box) and very simple sentences to answer (about them, their life in general) or simple reading comprehension.

Silvia

15 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi,

Thank you so much for all these links and the info.

I have not met the student yet, it is one person and he is attending the most demanding German school type leading to something like the A-levels, this means that he is part of a non-dyslexic class that has to study grammar and vocabulary, lots of it. I have been told to give 30% more time when giving tests, and I should read the questions/tasks out loud before asking the students to answer/do them....that is about all I know ;o( (before having read those sites, thanks, Silke Hug)

15 Sep 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

I teach them fro several years now and the approach is very individual and differs from class to class. I �ve got 5th graders who manage to learn vocabulary, do simple written exercises no problem with them.  And on the other hand there are 9th graders who hasn �t learn almost anything in last 3 years.  I avoid too much writing, we concentrate on speaking, mistakes in spelling are being tolerated in their written work. If I want to teach them a little grammar, I explain it English AND Czech so I am sure they all understand. They like pictures, but not very colourful, they prefer B&W. They also don �t have a big fantasy but I like "playing" so most of the time they get what I wanted to say by my mimics. And when I want them to remember something little from grammar, I make prints for them, so they don �t have to write it into their notebooks and glue these nice and neat pieces of paper instead.
But remember: A lot of parents (and then also the children) try to play on your feelings saying they cannot learn vocabulary (for example)  because of the dyslexia but it is not a true. Dyslexia has nothing to do with memory, their memory is fine (unless there are some other problems), so this is only an excuse.
Good luck, I believe you will enjoy them despite the work being harder;o))

15 Sep 2010