Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > The way I was taught    

The way I was taught

1hpf
Israel

The way I was taught

I was taught that person is the singular of people - not the use of persons or peoples
Is it right? I hear many times Americans say peoples or persons, and I had to ask.

19 Sep 2010      

JudyHalevi
Israel

The word peoples is nations.

The word persons is a valid plural of person, though, it is old English. Mostly the word people is used today.

Hugs
Judy

19 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, one person, two or more people.

"Peoples" means different races, nationalities, etc., and isn �t very common. "Different peoples lived in western Europe over the centuries."

"Persons" is sometimes used to mean "individuals". There is a common expression - "persons unknown" (meaning people, but you don �t know who), as in "Graffiti was sprayed on the walls by persons unknown." It �s usually a negative expression. Otherwise, "persons" is not a very common word, either.

I hope this helps,
Bruce

19 Sep 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

"persons �  is a formal word. You find it on elevators/ lifts eg restricted to 15 persons only.
I get this question a lot from my students.
Cheers Joy

19 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Every new class I step into, I am confronted with this "persons." I think we need a worksheet on that ;o))))

19 Sep 2010     

1hpf
Israel

Thanks, now I understand. 

19 Sep 2010