Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "S" in third person singular (present simple)    

"S" in third person singular (present simple)

blunderbuster
Germany

"S" in third person singular (present simple)

Hi,

I was wondering what your favorite remedy for the missing "s" in the present simple was. Looking forward to your answers. I have a new class and it feels kind of like starting over yet again ;o)

Regards

19 Sep 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

It �s like taming animals...  Wink  I always knock on the table when my ss say "don�t" instead of "doesn�t". It makes them correct themselves straight away!  LOL

19 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Knocking - that �s good!Thumbs Up
I tell them that because he/she/it are all crammed up in one place, they get this -s as a special gift, to sort of make up for it. It usually works. But this knocking sounds really effective. I have to try that.

19 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Anita, sometimes I don�t even have to knock anymore!!

In some classes I just raise my fist, and one of the ss starts shouting: "Stooop, there�s an �s� missing!!!!"

19 Sep 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I made a flag and drew  an � �S � � on it.   I wave it in the air.  Mind you,  my arm  often gets tired from all the waving. It works. 

19 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I attended a lecture by Michael Swan (yes, THE grammar guru) last week and he said he didn �t really mind students not using the 3rd person -s since it doesn �t really affect understanding. He mentioned that there is no logical explanation whatsoever to have that annoying letter.

I partly agree. If the -s isn �t used in conversation when fluency is more important than accuracy, I don �t mind that much. However, if it �s for exams and the like, it is important. Know your students� needs. He warned teachers not to have a nervous breakdown or burst out in tears if students just don �t get it. He said the same for  the use of articles and ridiculed the apostrophe.

19 Sep 2010     

Petpet
Czech Republic

I usually raise my hand and show three fingers to indicate the third person and they get it immediately as they are used to it. Be careful to show the right fingers, though :-)

19 Sep 2010     

lshorton99
China

Philip - I think he must have given the same talk - I went to it in Spain last year - he was a lot more interesting than I expected. I thought he �d drone on about correct English but he was witty and practical!

Regina - personally I favour the carrot and the stick approach. If they get it wrong, I hit them with a big stick. If they get it right, I give them a carrot!

Lindsey

19 Sep 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Ishorton, that might actually be a great idea to use in all classes for all wanted and unwanted behaviour!! Start the year by explaining the saying and then have a ridiculously big stick (an inflatable one for example) and either real slices of fresh carrot or carrot stickers to use when appropriate...might actually be a fun tool!

19 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

@petpet

I don �t get your joke (?), sorry... How could we show our ss "the wrong fingers"?? LOL

19 Sep 2010     

puddyd
Oman

I write a big �s � on the board on the top rhs.I then only point to the letter and eventually, I don �t even have to write it up anymore as the motion of my hand pointing backwards signals to the ss that they �ve missed an s.

19 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >