Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > For American members    

For American members

manonski (f)
Canada

For American members

Hi

I �m watching Oprah and they are referring to charter schools. What is a charter school and how is it different from a high school?

Have a wonderful week!

20 Sep 2010      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

a charter shool can be elementary or secondary level, it works like a private school but with goverment funds, they cant charge students like in a public school and is usually manage by a non profit administration. they have to prove that their system works in order to keep receiving funds.

20 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Maaannnooon, my dear

Such a thing as Liz explained, is something I can �t smell around here, my country...... there isn �t!!!!!!!!!
You were right, for American members,I, well, I  never heard, can �t fancy it,

Here, "malgr�" they say they don �t charge in public schools, Oh,oh,oh, oh, oh, YES they do.

In fact, I can say say, our governemnt, at the moment, is charching almost everything; what they don �t charge is just because they didn �t remember, better said, haven �t remembered, so far. But they will.

MHO ( silke �s copyright ), I think the one who can always explain these very difficult and hard  and sily things is my dear Portuguese friend, Frank.
Come on, Manon, stand up, tease him, and ask him to ask everyone in his daily morning post.

Foe sure, you �ll get tons of wonderful ideas  - I love those posts, but they are very difficult to me.
stand up, Manon, and do something funny. Tease Frank,he will have to achieve a fair, cultural, intelectual, bla,bla, bala answer....
I wouldn �t forgive him... and wouldn �t forgive  you.
Come on, raise the forum.

FRANK, hello, are you reading me?,    yes, just here to tease..
Love you all,
Hugs
Linda

21 Sep 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Linda,
I think Frank is absent tomorrow because he passed the Word-of-The-Day duties to Almaz.
Maybe we could also add the "expression of the day". I propose today �s expression: charter school.

He he he

@ Liz, thanks for your reply. I think I �m now more confused. Here, public schools can �t ask money to parents beside the school supplies list at the beginning of the school year.

21 Sep 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Manon.

Out of ..., well, out of everything... Can I ask, are those lovely, bright apples, in your avatar, from your garden?
Or have you found them in my aunt  Net �s supermarket

21 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi Manon,

I know what Liz is talking about since we have "chartered schools" here in Spain too. They are in essence "private" BUT they receive public funding. The government gives them some funding and because of this, they are accountable to the state in terms of education and acceptance of students. They normally have to accept everybody, not just the "wealthy"...  and they have to follow the curriculum as well as some other things that I am not too sure of.

Canada is different. All schools are accountable to the state and there are not that many private ones. In Alberta, I believe there are some Chartered schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberta_charter_schools

(btw... Chartered from what I was reading must mean "New Age Weirdness in Education." LOL )

21 Sep 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Thank you Zora! I believe you are right about the schools in Alberta.

21 Sep 2010