Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day    

Word of the day

Apodo
Australia

Word of the day

Ooh! I won word of the day!Clap

My word for you all today is:      mondegreen

No dictionary definitions please. The winner will be the most amusing or witty meaning suggested.

Please see New word of the day - unfortunately a dictionary definition has been given for this one.

Meaning

The misheard lyric that was the source of the generic term for misheard lyrics - mondegreens.

Origin

This line was coined inadvertently by the American writer Sylvia Wright. Following her mishearing of the words of the Scottish ballad The Bonny Earl of Moray, she wrote an essay entitles The Death of Lady Mondegreen. This was published in Harper´s Magazine in November 1954:

"When I was a child, my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy´s Reliques. One of my favorite poems began, as I remember:

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl Amurray,
And Lady Mondegreen."

The actual words of the ballad are:

Ye Highlands and Ye Lowlands,
O where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl of Moray,
And hae laid him on the green

Wright did us all a service by giving a name to these mishearings - which must always have been with us inthe language.

25 Sep 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

suxanita,
You �re not supposed to look it up. Word of the day is a game where people have to come up with their own definition of the word

Apodo, you �ll have to start over.

25 Sep 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

monde= "mondena" = pretty girl always wearing the latest fashion models
green = colour of envy

mondegreen - a model who is green with envy when she sees more beautiful colleague

25 Sep 2010     

suxanita
Portugal

Sorry, I didn �t know!

27 Sep 2010