Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Degrees of comparison of adjectives    

Degrees of comparison of adjectives

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Degrees of comparison of adjectives

Hi. friends.
Which sentence is correct:
1) Bob �s family is richer than Ron �s or Bob �s family is richer than Ron �s is.
2) Helen has got longer hair than Linda or Helen has got longer hair than Linda has.
Thanks in advance.

25 Sep 2010      

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hello Alyona,

Personally, I think the first sentences are the correct ones... because you place the object after than (Ron�s/Linda) and that�s the end of the comparison... you don�t have to add the verb at the end of the sentence.

=)

Paola

25 Sep 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I believe that if you think about the continuation of the sentence, you �ll see that it makes no sense:

Ex.: Bob �s family is richer than Ron �s (family) is rich (?!?)
You wouldn �t be able to say it like that.

You use the auxiliary verbs when refering to verbs, not the adjectives, I �d say.
Ex.: Bob �s family has more money than Ron �s does. (than Ron �s family has)
And the aulixiliary is often omitted too.

I believe that �s the answer, but I can be wrong. I was just trying to make something out of your doubt and that �s what came to my mind.

Hope to have helped a little.

Regards,

Bruna.

25 Sep 2010     

miyoko71
Morocco

Hi,
I agree with Poala, there no need to add"is" or "has", we already understand this  by using  comparison

25 Sep 2010