Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Frustrated Teacher!`    

Frustrated Teacher!`

viccxx
Greece

Frustrated Teacher!`

Hey all you night owls!

It �s 4 in the morning here in Greece and I just cant sleep. I had a horrible day. I had my first lessons yesterday (saturday) with two student i had last year, and i just want to cry! Don �t you just HATE it when they don �t remember anything you taught them last year?? They were both my best students last year and yesterday they had that lost look on their faces, the one that says "oh, that sounds familiar, how can I not let the teacher see I don �t remember it"
And revision from last year is just soooo boring , both for them and for me! Has anybody got any ideas on how to revise in a fun way?
Thanks people!

26 Sep 2010      

Gia Mel
Chile

There are some games you should try... There was a jeopardy on this website, that was editable to your contents. They could compete to win some points... Depending on the contents, you should try doing oral activities rather than just explaining yourself the subject... I �ve had classes like that as well... And I �ve felt terible...

This is sample ppt here on the website:

http://www.eslprintables.com/powerpoint.asp?id=1977#thetop

Thanks to the owner

Reut Atias

Not me! so it�s not advertising! (just a joke)

Cheers!Big smile

26 Sep 2010     

costaricanangel
Costa Rica

Don�t be frustrated!!! That situation happens to all of us!!! Students are like that!!! Sometimes we think they are the best students in class, but the thing is that they memorize everything we are teaching them and sometimes that �s not the best way to learn a language!!! As Gia Mel told u, try to use games and technology in class, such as television and videos related to the topic you are teaching, radio, realia; things students feel interested in... I hope this could help you! By the way your country is beautiful!!! Ha, ha, ha!!! Good luck with your students!!!

26 Sep 2010     

jwld
Israel

Teaching is about starting over again and again and again...
so I hope you didn �t let the kids feel your disappointment.  After all, they are just kids who had a long vacation (bright students with perfect memories don �t really need us...).

You can start the lesson with an oral quiz about the previous lesson
or
have one at the end of each week.

It should be a short, and challanging competition. Students who answer correctly get a candy/sticker . Try to make it fun and funny (don �t give grades!) .  

26 Sep 2010     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

Well, dear friend, that �s how things are supposed to work! We teach, pupils forget, then as we come across the same thing, it seems to register a little better and a new cycle begins, hopefully at a little higher level than the previous one.
Please don �t blame yourself, and don �t get disappointed, disappointment is somehow immediately recognizable by the kids.

My personal view is not to take too long revising last year �s materials. Most coursebooks revise things on the way, and I always feel it �s better to do last year �s revision right before the relevant topic is presented at this year �s level.
In any case, I agree with everyone else, that any revision we do at the beginning of year should be done in a fun way, using board games, card games, or powerpoint games, quizzes and songs - there are hundreds of those on the site. Take your pick and have some fun with your students!
Have a happy new school year!

26 Sep 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, sounds familiar... 
I can �t get my 7th-graders to add -s(es) in 3rd person singular, Present Simple, and they �ve been taught this since grade 2.
Sophia

26 Sep 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

What frustrates me is when the students have covered a point and then want to go up a level because �We �ve done that grammar before" but they are quite incapable or unwilling to use that point in anything other than exercises.
It �s not sufficient just to know about something, they have to �own it"....and to use it instinctively.
Sophia, don �t worry my adult students still don �t use verb agreement correctly and this is at the advance level.
Cheers Joy

26 Sep 2010     

viccxx
Greece

Well, Thanks for the support people! I bet it has happenned to us all. Thank God I kept a happy face and told them it was OK they didn �t remember, we willl revise them again. I was so happy to be seeing them again that I think my dissapointment didn �t show. We were all students once too, after all, weren �t we?

Today is a beutiful autumn day in Greece and thinks are looking better!
cheers!

26 Sep 2010     

epit
Turkey

Viccxx ,you are not alone on this matter .Kids are the same around all the world .We must see best side of the views.I don �t know why but I think   people lost hopes for future and sodidkids .We used to believe we would  have a good job if we had a good education and goverments used to help people for jobs but there is no such kind of like that .So there are many universities many schools but there is no job This  affects the kids our ages .Hope I �m not too pessimistic ıf they beliveve education change their life they can do something .Have a good Sunday  from Turkey with the rainy clouds .

26 Sep 2010