Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > I really need help!    

I really need help!

miss mary
Portugal

I really need help!

Teachers of the world,

I really need your help :) I teach at Portuguese primary school and in my classes I have students from different levels, such as 4th grade and 1st grade all together. I must confess that I really don�t know what to do with the younger ones, because they are only 4 of them. Do you have any ideas on how I can plan my lessons combining those two levels?

Thank you so much!

Have a nice week :)

Miss Mary

1 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Miss Mary,

Assuming this is a 1-2 hours class:
You could try grouping the children into 3 or 4 groups based on age/ability
Each lesson start with a warm-up game.
    Remember that the older children can help the younger children and the younger children will learn by listening and watching.

Organise each day so that you see 2 - 4 groups for 15 - 20 minutes each.
For each group have a learning intention and you can do some really concentrated learning.  Just bring them down into a small group on the floor or at a round table and teach them.  At the end of their INSTRUCTIONAL LEARNING SESSION you can give them a worksheet or activity that will help them practice the lesson.  Following this they will have a special project to complete for you to demonstrate an understanding of the concept (like make a song, make a game, make a worksheet, put actions to a song (if learning verbs) write a story with picture that they then get to read to the little children etc.

In this way while you are teaching one group the other groups are continuing with their work.

Between each group you will need to go and see the little ones (or hopefully you will have a helper in your classroom that can help them work on their projects).

Finish each class with a whole class warmdown where the children get to demonstrate what they have learnt that day.

The kids love it because they can say "Today i learnt how to ..." and then they give an example or show their work off to everyone.

It takes about 2-3 weeks to get children properly settled into this type of routine.  It also takes a lot of pre-class planning time - but it is definitly worth it!  I usually instigate this type of classroom with a behavioural plan that rewards children for good behaviour. 

Remember during your group to look up every 3 - 5 minutes and CATCH SOMEONE BEING GOOD. 

Hope that gives you some ideas.  If you want any more information or follow up activities just send me a message or email.

cheers
Vicki

1 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Great advice thanks Vicki. I�ve just copied that into a document for future reference!

Good luck, Miss Mary. Thumbs Up

1 Dec 2008     

miss mary
Portugal

Hi Vicki :)

Thank you for being so nice :) Your advice was really helpful and I�ve done the same thing as alien boy did!

The only problem is that my classes only last 45 minutes and most of the times the first ten minutes are used to calm down my students. Although I have amazing students at two of my schools, I have really violent and agressive students at another school and that�s my main concern. They can hardly sit together as whole and I�m afraid that if I divide them into groups, well I can only bet that things will be much worse.

Anyway, I loved your advice and I will try it at my other schools :)

Thank you so much,

Miss Mary

1 Dec 2008     

Kita19
Portugal

Hello

1 Dec 2008