Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Some ideas about how to start teaching ABSOLUTELY BEGINNERS..?! :O    

Some ideas about how to start teaching ABSOLUTELY BEGINNERS..?! :O

puspita
Indonesia

Hi, I gave my absolute beginners a list with two column: one is the english expressions and the other is the equivalent in our native tongue.  This list served as a reference for them.  Then I develop new situations based on that list, such as going shopping --> bargaining.  Other things that my students feel useful are expressions used when they want to state their annoyance (complaining) and apologizing.

1 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

I can put it in a different context as I am an adult who had been learning swedish at swedish school set up specifically for immigrants to sweden... and everyone who immigrates to sweden gets to go to these free classes out on by the government. When I first turned up with not a word of swedish I was put into the first introductory group. For 12 weeks everyday for 2-3 hours we learned the following. How to introduce ourselves. How to ask how someone is ie "greetings", days of the week, months, numbers, how to express likes and dislikes. nearly forgot alphabet and pronunciation of letters and common blends. Vocabulary for food, clothing, family, parts of the body. Role play vocabulary for shopping, cafe and going to the doctor. Learning vocabulary and phrases. All sessions were conducted solely in swedish too as everyone (35 of us) were from all different countries so there was not really a common language. Lots f repetition and pictures to assist as well. Hopefully this might help you get started :-)

1 Dec 2008     

elfelena
Russian Federation

Thank you. Your discussion was very useful for me!

5 Feb 2009     

Aleftina
Ukraine

I think that for such students the first things to learn are sounds(rules of reading).
For them later read unknown words.
And then small topics.

17 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2