Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Language help    

Language help

carinita
Argentina

Language help

I �m preparing a "Feedback sheet" in case my substitution finishes the following week and the classroom teacher comes back.
Students in the class are 16-year-old.
I �ll write individual comments. One of the students is very variable. I could write something like this: "His attitude has varied from disconnection to interest from one moment to another He has had difficulty in decoding or paying attention to instructions He responds well to games and activities that demmand interaction and has a good sense of humour"
Is it the language OK?
If any other way of expressing that or any suggestion comes to your mind, do tell me
C.Heart

3 Oct 2010      

Jackie1952
Spain

As a native speaker, I�d probably say:-
"His attitude varies from apathy to interest from one moment to the next. He has had difficulty in understanding and paying attention to instructions."
The rest is fine, except demand only has one "m".

I hope this helps.

Jackie in Spain.

3 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Wink

3 Oct 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Doesn �t "apathy" sound too harsh ? Maybe from "lack of interest" to "enthusiasm" ?

3 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

"His attitude varies from lack of interest to enthusiasm from one moment to the next"

3 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Alicia,

�Apathy � is lack of interest and Carina is trying to emphasise the marked swings in the student �s attitude, so I reckon Jackie �s suggestion is good. The word �decoding � is giving me pause, though. I take it to mean �understanding �.

3 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Well, if you want more details I don �t think he �s apathetic... He seems to be somewhere else as if there was something much more important outside school... but I �ve been for a short while with these students...that �s all I know
Perhaps he �s immature He stays like that (outside) He doesn �t take risks
Sometimes teaching can be puzzling...

3 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

What? A 16 year-old who acts as if there �s something more important than school.

Freud once said that there were 3 untenable/impossible professions: the psychoanalyst, the politician and the educator. I think I �m beginning to understand what he was going on about.

3 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

LOL LOL

3 Oct 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

LOL too, almaz! and Carina, I like the way you wrote the sentence using "lack of interest..."
Almaz, maybe as a native Spanish speaker Carina understands a bit better what I meant, I do know apathy and lack of interest are the same, but to our ears, it is a bit harsh ...
"lack of interest" sounds "softer", I can assure you !

4 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

I have another version: " It varied from indiference to involvement" :)

4 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >