Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teenagers!!    

Teenagers!!

nanadia
Argentina

Teenagers!!

Hello everyone! I�m having problems with my 12-to-14 years old students who  have deliberately decided not to speak english in class anymore. There is simply no way to keep them either quiet or speaking in english because the moment a fly passes they switch to spanish and divert from the lesson. It is obvious that most times they do it on purpose and it�s getting on my nerves because the finals are coming and they�ll suck at their oral exams. Extra work at home doesn�t work because their parents don�t supervise them... Any technique which may work to make them speak english the whole class?
thanks!!

5 Oct 2010      

perma
Greece

have you figured out why they �re doing this?
I mean, did they use to speak English and then stopped for some reason, (because that �s what i �ve unsderstood from what you �ve written) and if so what made them stop in your opinion?
if you find the root of the problem it may be easier to find a way out of it!

5 Oct 2010     

j.ho0312
Mexico

Dear nanadia : )
I so totally know how you feel. I am going through the same thing, too. In my case, my students are not at the level they are suppose to be in and i had no idea how they passed the previous courses. I am stressed out as it is and on top of that they are using just too much Spanish and delebrately disrespect my class many times. I really love my studetns each one them. This is what I am going to try to do with them and it �s just an idea to share with you. I am going to start a star collection kind of thing. I will give them a little chart to put their stars. Whenever they do their hw and study, they will get one. If they behave in class they will get one. When they finish one chart, they will get a bag of sweets. I think it will help a little.
I also set up a lot of role play activity with them in which they would have to speak English. I will try to find the worksheets I use for those. I am still a new member here, so I will go through my files in my computer and share them with you ok?
Let me know if those ideas help you.

with love and respect. :))

5 Oct 2010