Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Reading evaluation    

Reading evaluation

miesies muis
Namibia

Reading evaluation

I am currently busy evaluating my learners �s reading ability, but finds it difficult. What do you look for or evaluate when they read to you? Do you give them a percentage? What are the points you look at? They are at the end of Grade 2 between 7 and 9 ears old. Is there someone that can help me!

7 Oct 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Your students are very young - and to encourage them to keep learning, you must be positive and compliment them om their reading.
They have only just learned to read - so they really don �t have that much experience yet!

I listen for how they tackle language and if they are understandable.
I think it is wrong to grade such young children.

As an American, I probably listen for other things than other ESL teachers.

8 Oct 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

i look for accuracy, fluency, speed and comprehension.  maybe ths article can help you

8 Oct 2010     

vivianasma
Argentina

I used to stick a grid like this in their folders for reading time.

Name:
Date:

READING TIME

Excellent
Very Good
Good
I should improve
Pronunciation

Expression

Punctuation

Fluency

Hope it helps. ;)

8 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

In my country, wherever that is, we have Guided Reading. Each book the student reads is a certain level, and I assess them every once in a while to move them up a level. For example, at the end of grade 2, my students should be at level 25. I �m still trying to figure it out, too!

8 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

There is a test for checking reading age in English: The Schonell Reading Test.
It consists of a  set of words which get progressively more difficult. The student reads as many as they can and stops when there are 10 consecutive incorrect words. There is a formula for working out the reading age, based on how many words they 
read accurately. There is a similar spelling test.

Just PM me if you want a copy of these.

8 Oct 2010