Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

Apodo
Australia

Word of the Day

Clap  I won! Whoopee!

Today �s word is pulchritudinous.

The most imaginative and humorous answer will be the winner!

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!  No dictionary / internet definitions. If you know the answer be privately smug but don �t spoil the game for others. You �re invited to give your own witty suggestion.

11 Oct 2010      

Mariethe House
France

Pulch: from Pulchinella, the Italian form of the French Polichinelle:

ritu: from ritual :   ritual noun

Click to hear the UK pronunciation of this wordClick to hear the US pronunciation of this word/ˈrɪt.ju.əl//ˈrɪtʃ.u-/ n [C or U]
a set of fixed actions and sometimes words performed regularly, especially as part of a ceremony

Dinous : short form of "libidinous"    libidinous adjectiveClick to hear the UK pronunciation of this wordClick to hear the US pronunciation of this word/lɪˈbɪd.ɪ.nəs/ adj formal

having or showing strong sexual desires

So my definition: pulchritudinous behaving like a sexually driven puppet in strange rituals  that take place every year on October 31st! So waaaaaaaaaaaatch it!

11 Oct 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Pulcher in Latin means beautiful
i- or y- in Spanish means and
Tu in Italian means you
and again in Italian di � is the short for say
Nous in French means we

So this is  someone who is pushing to say that "we are all beautiful"
It �s an intercultural word! LOL

Hug

11 Oct 2010     

Rosa_Rose
Egypt

wowwwwww!!!!
So interesting..
I like your  explanation,mariana
im waiting to know eagerly the right answer.
well done in advance for the winner Thumbs Up

11 Oct 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

I �ve always wanted to play, so my guess is:

pulchritud --> in Spanish means something very clean

dinous --> the short form of dinosaur

So it means: A very clean dinosaur!

Something like this:

Bere

11 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Pulchritudinous

This is one of those words, the instant that you hear the explanation of its origin, you say to yourself: �Of course!  What a stupid fool I am!  How could I possibly forget that!�

And then you notice the leaflets on your door-mat, �Voices Inside The Head�; �Improve Your Self-Image�; and �The Amnesia Society�.

Relax and drink a strong cup of coffee!  Or alternatively, relax and drink a cup of strong coffee!  Or possibly, cough and then re-drink a cup of strong laxative!

We are constantly faced with difficult choices, as the following story illustrates.

Where I lived, a couple had a child, a little girl.  The husband was a Jewish chap called Cohen.  His wife was from Spain, and her name was Carmen.

They constantly quarrelled about what name to give to the girl, because both wanted to preserve their National heritage.  Of course, the inevitable result was that the poor child never knew whether she was Carmen or Cohen!

The Word of the Day was the result of a few simple consonantal shifts and a typing error, after a pedantic professor plunged pompously into a plastic Pool packed with putrid pebbles.

Pul-chrit-tud-in-ous = pool grit chewed in us.

Les Douglas

11 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

What inspired answers! I know it �s going to be hard to choose....a few hours to go before the result is announced...... 8-)

12 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Wow - so many great anagrams for this amazing word ...

Ludicrous Hip Tun
Cupid Hour Insult
Cupid Hurl Suit On
Chili Spud Outrun
Churn Idiot Lupus
Child Is Outrun Up

Cheers

Jayho

12 Oct 2010