Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > About rewarding our students :)    

About rewarding our students :)

eurirod
Spain

About rewarding our students :)

This year I asked my older students (16/17 years old) to prepare a small project where each member of the team should speak in English ( not read) at least about three minutes on the topic we have been working with. They could approach the task the way they wanted. If they worked hard I had promised to mark all of them positively, not paying much attention to their mistakes. I was surprised by an avalanche of  comic sketches,  rap songs, powerpoints and videos, even shy people made a great effort!!. I was soooooo happy that next day I gave them some lolly-pops...ehem, yes, I know, sugar, etc.  I usually reward higher marks with a sticker they choose from a colourful bag and they feel like heroes. We�re so tied up to reports and statistics that we often forget the  amusing side of  it. What do you think? Could you give me more ideas to reward my  students? Thanks a lot. It is great to discover new tricks. Thanks for sharing.

2 Dec 2008      

Damielle
Argentina

I�ll give you a tip that works with teenagers. (I haven�t tried it with children) For each contribution in class, let�s say, copying the answer to an exercise on the board, reading it aloud, being one of the first to finish the task (you can establish your own rules and the opportunities to reward them) I give them an award (it may be a sticker) with my signature next to it . Each one counts a point in a final mark. As soon as they collect a significant number they turn these points into a mark (it can be 7, 8, 9 or even 10!!!) As you have several students in class and many of them may volunteer to answer a question, you�ll have to device a strategy to decide who is going to take the turn.

In my personal experience, it has worked extremely well to the point thet it has been imitated by other teachers of different subjects with slight changes. The most important fact is that my students have adquired the habit of working in class. I have worked with it for years.

2 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I use anything that the grabs their attention - some ideas:

- lollipops (seriously i am there teacher - not there dentist!)
- stickers
- certificates
- games
- outside reading time
- computer time
- movie with popcorn (for longterm reward)
- praise
- praise
- praise
- smiles
- thank yous
- free choice
- outside games
- drawing time
- music on while working
- storybooks (i.e. I have a journal with an animal attached, if kids are good they get to take it home and add to the story in it)
- bouncy balls

hope something grabs your attention.
Vicki

2 Dec 2008     

karina7777
Denmark

I teach English, Danish, social studies, history and religion in a 9th grade .Those who have handed in all of their homework in all of the subjects (including math, biology and geography) in due time become "Star Pupils" of the week. Each Friday the star pupils of the week are found. I have made a little mini-poster for each pupil with their name, a star and lots of glitter and gold. The pupils who are star pupils of the week stand up, are applauded and place the poster with their name under a big poster saying "Star Pupils of the Week" on the wall.
This works so well - it visualizes the good example, so to speak. One might be surprised that it works even with 15-year-olds, but I think the key is that we all play along and attach importancy to this weekly event. I find that we all enjoy being a bit childlike and adding a touch of celebration to our every-day lives : )
Oh, and also the star pupils of the week are listed in our weekly letter to the parents and their names are written in a big calendar on the wall.

2 Dec 2008