Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What do you think of this sentence?    

What do you think of this sentence?

douglas
United States

What do you think of this sentence?

Good Morning (Evening)!

I am working on some adverb exercises and developed a sentence that doesn �t quite sit right with me.  Iwould love to have your opinions on it (especially on the adverbs/adverbial phrases/clauses):

To ensure it arrives on time for planting, the farmer always orders his seed from the same supplier each year in July and February.

I look forward to your responses.

Douglas

13 Oct 2010      

verybouncyperson
Spain

Hi Douglas,

I think the sentence works well, but I would change "on time" to "in time".

T :)

13 Oct 2010     

arkel
Ireland

I agree with verybouncyperson. In time sounds better, otherwise it �s fine

Rosemary:)

13 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Both ways sound OK to me. "In time" would mean just that "in time for planting season"... BUT if you are a farmer (like my dad is/was) you �d know that in today �s world, most farmers hire people to plant large fields instead of buying the machinery themselves. Therefore, "on time" could also be correct because a date or time is set aside for this... Smile

13 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

I think "in time" does work better.

How about the:

"each year in July and February."   

what would you say to:

"in July and February of each year"

Personally, I know I would use both, but I teach my students that the more specific one usually comes first. but we are actually talking about frequency versus time here which would make the first one right--but I know I use both and don �t feel the second is wrong.  Opinions?

Douglas

13 Oct 2010     

Errie
Japan

This is very funny. I was teaching almost the same sentence last week. Almost because the only different thing were the months.

� � It �s always cold each year in December and January � �

� �it �s always cold in December and January of each year � �.

I told my students that I would use both but like you �ve already said.....it �s better to be more specific. We talked it over and they �ve chosen the second one as fully understandable and more specific.

And no, the second one is not wrong at all.

13 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Hi, Douglas,
When I read your sentence originally, I was slightly bothered by the sound of "each year in July and February". It definitely isn �t wrong, but my ear agrees with you that "in July and February of each year" sounds a little better.

Bruce

13 Oct 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Hi, Douglas,�

although I am not a native speaker and thus am unfortunately pretty far from distinguishing such subtle semantic nuances, the way you put the sentence at the beginning of the thread sounded somehow awkward to me and I mean in that particular place you are interested in, i.e. in its final part. So I would personally transform it into "in July and February of each year" (though I �d probably made a mistake with the "of" preposition�Embarrassed

13 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

...each July and February and always from the same supplier.

;o)

13 Oct 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I think it sounds right as is except for the small mistake of seeds, not seed.  I hope he is not using his seed for planting. LOL

hugs
Judy

13 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"To ensure it arrives on time for planting, the farmer always orders his seed from the same supplier each year in July and February".

I would write:

"The farmer always orders his seed from the same supplier each year in July and February, so as to ensure that it arrives in time for planting".  ( �Seed � suggests to me a general  �seed order �; whereas �seeds � suggests �individual varieties of seeds �.  �On time � suggests �to be punctual �; whereas �in time � suggests �at a suitable time �).

Of course, I am British and speak British English, so that �s why my wording possibly sounds a little different.
Best Wishes.
Les

13 Oct 2010