Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "Word of the Day" - The WINNER    

"Word of the Day" - The WINNER

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day" - The WINNER

Hello, Everyone.

It is now Midnight in Spain, (because I can just hear the bells of Madrid Cathedral striking twelve!)

Here are the submissions for Sgiomlaireached

Juliag gave us: �The special cry an eagle gives on reaching it �s lair at the top of a very, very high mountain�.

Adriennesmiles: � The gnome I reached�.

David Lisgo said: The word is not at all complicated and simply means. "I�m home!"

Redbull said: �A smelly scruffy person laying in his/her pit reaching out for emotion�.

Ide Bere: �Maybe Sergio Martinez and Ed are in a rally and Ed is winning so Sergio Martinez has to lie to reach Ed�.
Mariethe House: �Sergio had a molar that ached� (�Sergio had terrible toothache�).

Elderberrywine: �It �s the death rattle , the last sound before dying, of an ESL member who just found out that another one of his worksheets was stolen and uploaded by somebody else�.

Joserik: �It is used when someone has so many aches that he/she can �t even pronounce the name of the illness well...�

Moravc: The right sentence would be: "Sgiomla is reached!"
An exclamation with the meaning: "I have done it!"

Greek Professor �All i know is a liar reached something....�

Sgiomlaireached = �The habit of dropping in at mealtimes�.

And the WINNER IS:

Almaz, and he gets to choose the next �Word of the Day�

At last! After all those fancy Greek and Latinate words, we �ve got the real language of Eden: the Gaelic, no less. 

Sgiomlaireachd: pronounced scum-leerie, the word entered the English language via those highlanders who, over the centuries, migrated to Glasgow and carried on a mutual love-hate relationship with their lowland hosts. A gaelicised Lallans term, it refers to an attitude of wariness (being �leery �) toward someone who purports to be your friend but in all likelihood would just as soon cut your throat and ransack your sporran (a �scumbag �).

So, it�s an adjective meaning �suspicious of people who hang around railway stations �.

Thanks to all competitors for your wonderful suggestions!

Les

14 Oct 2010