Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Pronunciation problem    

Pronunciation problem

mariflo
Greece

Pronunciation problem

Dear colleagues,
I would like your opinion on the subject of the pronunciation of �often �. Are both pronunciations /ofen/ and /often/ correct? From what I know the second one is called  �spelling pronunciation � in which a word is pronounced according to its spelling. According to Random House, " �often � was pronounced with a t-sound until the 17th century, when a pronunciation without the /t/ came to predominate in the speech of the educated. Common use of a spelling pronunciation has since restored the /t/ for many speakers and today they exist side by side in a way that it has become fully standard once again".
What is the latest trend in Britain and USA? I would especially appreciate a native speaker �s opinion or anyone else �s who happens to know it first hand. 

14 Oct 2010      

arlissa
United States

In the USA, I mostly hear /often/ and that is also what I personally use (I am a native speaker). Only occasionally do I hear /ofen/, and it �s almost always by someone not from the USA or someone speaking quickly or in a way that obstructs clear speech.

14 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi!
I �m not a native, but I used to live in the UK, & go there very often.../ofen/ ;o)))
I heard both in Britain ; My British friends ( & I ) use /ofen/ . Going up North, people seem to use /often/  - but not sure about this ;o)) British people will tell you !
Sylvie

14 Oct 2010     

ditku
Poland

It �s like with �exactly � where you can actually hear the [t] phoneme. Both versions of both words are correct. :)

14 Oct 2010     

Karost
Argentina

I agree with arlissa. I �m not a native speaker but my boyfriend is from Missouri and he pronounces it as /often/ and so do his friends and family.

14 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Im from the north of England and I say /oftin/ - whatsmore I really dislike to hear (ofin/.

14 Oct 2010     

sldp
France

Hi

In the North where I worked as an assistnt /often/
in the South where I worked as an au pair /ofen/

14 Oct 2010     

valentinaper
Greece

How surprising! Shocked

I always tell my students to pronounce it /ofen/ because I was taught this way. And now I can see that most native speakers opt for the other pronounciation!!!

Thank you for bringing this matter up, mariflo!!

Valentina

14 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I �m British English, from the north.
I generaly say �often � but lots of people say �ofen �.  I teach that both forms are correct.
Some people, who appear to come from the south, say �orfen �.

Les

14 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Orfen???? Hey Les isn �t that a parentless child??

14 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Perfectly correct, Ed!  If you �ve seen the Savoy Opera, "The Pirates of Penzance", by Gilbert and Sullivan, you �ll know that they get about six jokes out of that pun.
"Have you been an orphan?"
"Orfen!"
Les

14 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >