Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching multigrade/ mutli-level    

teaching multigrade/ mutli-level

allevaesl
United States

teaching multigrade/ mutli-level

I am an ESL teacher in a HS. I am formerly an elementary ESl teacher. I am posting this question in hopes that some teachers can give me management strategies.

I have 7 kids that are in mixed grades 9-12 and mixed language proficiency. The kids range from students who are not speaking in English and kids who are reading The House on Mango Street. The multi-level is causing me to struggle with planning. typically, I would plan a central theme and skill. I would teach whole group and different tasks based on the levels. MY director suggested to teach the same skill, and just vary the text they use. However, I am struggling because my skills that my advanced need are very different from the skills my nonverbal kids need. I taught figurative language to the advanced kids. There is no way to differientate that same skill for my beginners.

How do you plan and differentiate for mixed abilities, mixed grades, and mixed language skills? How do you manage a lesson?

Thanks so  much!

14 Oct 2010