Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The difference !!!!    

The difference !!!!

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

The difference !!!!

Hello teachers,
 One of my students asked me a question today. What is the difference between
Rose and flower?

Is there any difference between them? Thank you in advance.

15 Oct 2010      

andreaartigas
Chile

Dear,
A rose is a kind of  flower as violets, sunflowers, etc. Flowers is the generic word.
Hope this answer can help u
Andrea from Chile The earth of  the rescued miners.

15 Oct 2010     

Jackie1952
Spain

I agree with Andrea.

A rose is a specific type of flower.

Flowers are the whole group..............tulips, crocuses, daffodils, roses, carnations............are all flowers.

Andrea.............how proud you must be of your country. Clap

Jackie

15 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

haven �t you got a dictionary?

15 Oct 2010     

Caela
Taiwan

haven �t you got a broom?

16 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Caela
I like, Elderberrywine,- wonder why a teacher wouldn �t know such an elementary thing??
Especially when there is a dictionary online! I find it a bit strange too.

16 Oct 2010     

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

I feel sorry for hearing such insults for the others who try to ask a question even if the question was "silly". If the question bothers you, you can easily ignore it and don �t reply. Of course I found out in my dictionary, but the image was unclear 100% or should I write a long story about my search on these words to justify my question. YOUR ANSWER WAS REALLY DISAPPOINTED.

16 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi Mohammadsaleh,
I do not think that the people who answered your post meant to be rude... I must admit - that, just like them - I was amazed by your question . Please, No offence.
I �ve learnt a few languages, & know that there are notions which are completely different from one language to another. Maybe this is the case.
To make it clear, I �ll give you an example : In my country, there are many sub-languages , apart from the official one , French. In Brittany ( Northern area in France, ) the language old people ( mostly ) use doesn �t have the word for Blue / green. ( They have one word for both colours)   The word they use for such a colour is derived from the word �sea �. I can imagine people �s reactions if someone asked the meaning of �blue �... ;o)) when the word does not exist in their language.
I �m not telling you to justify your question - of course!!! - but it would be highly interesting to read you.
Regards from Northern France
Sylvie

16 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Dear mohammadsaleh, no idea who insulted you in your thread.
If you mean my post, -- well, I simply asked if you haven �t got a dictionary.
That wasn �t an enthusiastic answer, but far from being an insult.
Please pick your words more carefully.
(I did find the subsequent question about the broom insulting, though)

On the one hand knowing the difference between rose and a flower is so basic that we are surprised a teacher would ask it, and would not have the means to look it up online or in a "real" dictionary. And to look elsewhere if the first dictionary does not give enough explication
On the other hand this forum would be completely useless for people who really need help if all those looking for a word asked here. We would have simple vocabulary questions all the time as there are only few threads on the forum.

16 Oct 2010     

mohammadsaleh
Palestine

I really have to admit after your logic words that I chose wrong words to reply. I am sorry elderberrywine for my  rude message. I was a little upset for the word "broom" and the message shouldn,t be sent to you and the other member except "caela"  from tiwan. It is a mistake and I admit again and I hope you accept my apology. Your words and reply has no insults and they are normal. Thank you for ur patience. 

16 Oct 2010